• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
DesignerX

OpenGL Moving from DirectX to openGl

This topic is 4076 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have finally decided to leave DirectX for learning and using opengl in my projects from now on. (Also leaving xp for the amazing mandriva linux) Can you plz tell me what are the pros and cons (fast?, reliable?, easy? etc..) of opengl comparing to DirectX ? Is it a smart move ? thx

Advertisement
I find coding on Linux is a little easier, for example no IDE "required" and easier to build from the command line (of which I prefer Linux to Windows).

Depending on how comfortable you already are with Direct3D, OpenGl may or may not be easier to get used to. Making primitives feels much easier with OpenGL, yet loading textures is much easier with Direct3D IMO.

Advice: Try not to use GLX (OpenGL for X Windows). Making a window, input, ect are generally much easier using SDL or glut, to name a few.

The main concepts are the same. Just remember that unlike DX, OpenGL API is not rendered obsolete with each update. This means that the API has grown huge with many procedures of which not all maybe optimised by the chip vendors, this also means that there is often more ways than one to do something. What you want is the most efficient way of doing and you can only learn this through asking/experience.

What i can remember,

i) use VBOs or display lists over any other form of drawing.
ii) glDrawRangeElements over any other draw command if you can provide the min/max indices for the index array.
iii) draw calls are much less expensive in OpenGL than in DirectX. Still you should reduce them as much as possible mainly because with every drawcall you usually bind textures/shaders/VBOs which are not cheap.

Quote:
Original post by blakedev
I find coding on Linux is a little easier, for example no IDE "required" and easier to build from the command line (of which I prefer Linux to Windows).

Most people find that coding in Linux is more difficult.
There is a reason why VC++ is so popular.
If you don't want a IDE in Windows, then it's possible but that is anal. You can do some good debugging with an IDE and coding becomes more efficient. That's why you have Code blocks, Eclipse, Kdevelop for Linux.

Using GLX is not difficult specially since you can copy and paste stuff from the web. nehe.gamedev.net has code samples.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!