• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
mastersmith

OpenGL 3d maths problem?

This topic is 4150 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am reading the read book (free opengl programming book online), and I came to a slight problem. it started talking about complex 3d math, and I found my self completely lost. is it because of my age? (shortly put I am not in high school yet), or is it just complicated for everyone? are there any good math tutorials out there that I can reference? any help will be great thanx :D

Advertisement
Well, I would say that unless your school doesn't provide algebra courses I wouldn'be surprised if you find it hard. I'm graduated in computer science and I still find it hard :-)
But for sure I remember when I started to learn 3d matrices and vectors wer way beyond my possibilities..
Good luck and don't worry!

Read the sample chapter from here, and then the one from here (especially the second part). The first one will give you a thorough introduction to vectors and the second one to matrices. Hopefully these will make things a bit easier for you.

Thanx for the link Gage, but I got the 3d math primer book. I have been reading through it and it has been very help full on clarifying some things. it started talking about inertal movement and I guess I don't understand that part, can anyone help me on it?

EDIT:yay I didn't make a new thread!

[Edited by - mastersmith on July 31, 2007 12:27:59 AM]

hey

I didn't have much of a clue as to the meaning of inertial, but goog'define came up with...

Quote:

When there is no force being exerted on an object then the object will move inertially. This is also called 'free motion'. For example: a space module that is not firing any thrusters. (If this space module is located in intergalactic space in a region of space where gravitational influences of surrounding galaxies cancel then that is effectivily a zero-gravity environment.) A frame of reference that is defined as co-moving with that object is an inertial frame of reference. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inertial

But yea, if you're ever unsure about terms and such, a good idea is to look up the definition of the word, hehe.

cya

I'm still studying 3D maths but I was able to write a working quaternion class. All I can say is this, if you aren't in high school yet, it's not likely (but certainly not impossible) that you have the solid-reinforced-concrete foundation in algebra you need to understand 3D math. It's ridiculously complex (especially quaternions!) and just about everyone who learns independently goes through what you're going through (I'm still going through it!).

If you're merely confident in your skills, stick with vectors.

If you're beyond confident and feel you could ace anything, go with quaternions.

I don't know if the book you're reading has mentioned either one, but vector math, after having tried quaternions and researched vectors, seems much easier than using calculus on imaginary numbers... Whichever you choose, just don't give up. The beautiful thing about math (and programming) is that there is a core logic, and eventually you'll understand that logic. When that happens, it's like a spring bloom - everything will open into quite a beautiful flower, and all these things that seem so complex will feel like basic arithmetic.

I believe I figured it out. the inertal axis is for moving an object in the world right?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
oh!I'm sorry. is "inertal"?
The first time that I've heard of this word.
I didn't know about the meaning, Can anyone tell me? Thanks!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!