hi, im searching for some help

Started by
2 comments, last by cabbar 16 years, 8 months ago
hi everyone I need some help here , Im actually learning C/C++(some experience) and I have used a lot of engines and software to make games, now I want to learn how to make them with C/C++ and I need someone to tell me the first steps so... 1-How im going to use C for game development? 2-Wath do exactly are the libraries and how do I use them to make games? 3-Wich one of the libraries is the best? 4-Can I use any library with C? --Thanks everyone for the help
Advertisement
Quote:1-How im going to use C for game development?

For programming. It's kinda like asking "How am I gonna use this car for travelling?". Assuming you can code a bit with C, it's just a matter of applying the same principles on coding your game. Maybe Google can help here.

Quote:2-Wath do exactly are the libraries and how do I use them to make games?

There's OpenGL, DirectX and a whole truckload of other libraries that will aid you in coding your game. Basically they contain functionality (for 3D rendering, input, sound etc) that you can reuse to make your job easier. There are also libraries (or engines) available that build on top of these core libraries to make your life easier still, if they fit your needs.

Quote:3-Wich one of the libraries is the best?

This is pretty much subjective and there's little to say about this without knowing what you need it for in minute detail. If you're just getting started, I'd find a (recent) book/tutorial site and use whatever library they're using. Most concepts you learn will carry over to other libraries and you probably will want to worry about getting *some* game done first instead of hoping (in vain, as experience has shown me [smile]) it'll be the best game with the best library at your first try.

Quote:4-Can I use any library with C?

In theory, yes. Libraries are meant to be general purpose and C pretty much is the lowest common denominator, so you should be able to use most libraries for C. Determining if a library works for your game and how to use it in your game code is another matter.
Rim van Wersch [ MDXInfo ] [ XNAInfo ] [ YouTube ] - Do yourself a favor and bookmark this excellent free online D3D/shader book!
thanks for the help, ill start searching on google for toturials, and i think ill get started with OpenGL.
If you want to see nice looking results in a short period of time, you can use an engine like OGRE (it requires extensive c++ knowledge as well). Else you can build everything from scratch with directx/opengl.

3- There's no best. Opengl is a little bit easier than directx for beginners (at least you don't have to try 3 days for drawing a triangle :)).

4- Mostly yes.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement