• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Zelnen

Where to start?

This topic is 3979 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Used to prgamm alot, mainly php and javascript creating web site applications and modding forum systems. Been wanting to start creating games for a while, created a simple text based rpg with php but i want to go further than that. Now remember the good old days of playing pokemon on your game boy? Looked like this. http://img68.imageshack.us/img68/24/poly4.jpg Yeh well i want to make a simple RPG that looks kinda of like the pokemon games and works like them too. Just simpley moving sprites around the screen, talking to NPC's going on quests etc, you get the idea? Anyway my question to you guys out there is what language do you think i should use? Any books you recommend getting on that language? Tutorials, compilers, etc I want a language that i can do all kinds off stuff with, not just limit me too the game i've stated above. I'd like to be able to progress into bigger better things. Anyway let me know! Anyway replies will be much appreciated!

Advertisement
Take a look at the Python programming language, and in particular the PyGame library.
Python is a high-level scripting language, with all the expected modern features, has a fairly short learning curve, is moderately forgiving, and is *very* easy to use. PyGame is a framework handling 2D graphics, 3D graphics (via OpenGL), audio, input, etc. basically everything you need to build a game. There are quite a few tutorials on using both, as well as several paper-and-ink books.

This is one of the simplest routes to game programming, but also the one perhaps best suited to your background as a web coder, since Python is quite common in that environment, and relates well to knowledge of other scripting languages (such as PHP).

Ok thanks for the very quick and descriptive reply!

Thats been helpful, i'll definently check it out. Got any examples of games mad ein python?

Also still looking for other peoples opinions on what i should learn so keep em coming!

Quote:
Original post by Zelnen
Ok thanks for the very quick and descriptive reply!

Thats been helpful, i'll definently check it out. Got any examples of games mad ein python?

Also still looking for other peoples opinions on what i should learn so keep em coming!

Eve Online is a commercial MMORPG that is mostly written in python. But for simpler games you could check out the pygame games directory.

I also recommend that you learn python. It is a powerful language that will allow you to do what you want in relatively short order. It also comes with a very extensive standard library that covers a lot of things like SQL-access and XML parsing.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!