Operations between normalized Quaternions

Started by
2 comments, last by erissian 16 years, 9 months ago
If I multiply normalized Quaternions, the result is a normalized Quaternion?.
Advertisement
Yes; excepting any floating point errors. The same goes for vectors (the magnitude will be 1, for scalar or vector products).
We''re sorry, but you don''t have the clearance to read this post. Please exit your browser at this time. (Code 23)
In more detail the magnitudes of the quaternion multiply. As normalised quaternions have magnitude 1, multiply two quaternions together and the magnitude is 1 * 1 = 1, so the result is also normalised.

Quote:Original post by erissian
Yes; excepting any floating point errors. The same goes for vectors (the magnitude will be 1, for scalar or vector products).

It is not true for these vector products, except in special cases (e.g .the cross product of perpendicular vectors). The only non-trivial product of vectors that this holds for is the geometric/Clifford product.
John BlackburneProgrammer, The Pitbull Syndicate
Quote:Original post by johnb
Quote:Original post by erissian

It is not true for these vector products, except in special cases (e.g .the cross product of perpendicular vectors). The only non-trivial product of vectors that this holds for is the geometric/Clifford product.

Oops, you caught me saying something dumb. I was thinking of the maximum magnitude of the product of two vectors which is the absolute product of the magnitudes of the two vectors, which isn't especially relevant here. :D
We''re sorry, but you don''t have the clearance to read this post. Please exit your browser at this time. (Code 23)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement