• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Hovotz

What book that best suit my need?

This topic is 4158 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

My goal is to develop a game engine, just like those engine of famous MMORPG, that support both OpenGL and DirectX. I need a book that will guide me on what I need to learn aside from the language and APIs. What book is best suit my need. Advance thnx for all who help^_^

Advertisement
I doubt that there is the one book that could give all of that. You would definitely need several books: on DirectX and OpenGL, whichever languages you use for scripting and programming, algorithms, etc.

Some books that come to my mind:

* Mulligan & Patrovsky's "Developing Online Games: An Insider's Guide" (New Riders); this book is more about the business side of running a MMO, but that's still an invaluable resource (with, for example, post mortems of DAoC and Anachy Online).

* Armitage, Claypool & Branch's "Networking and Online Games" (Wiley); this book is quite technical about how to setup a network-powered game. It's also a very precious book.

* Stevens's book about Unix and network programming

* any good book about computer security ("Hack the Stack" by Gregg & Al seems quite decent; at least it focuses on network security, which is a good point).

* a book about databases (which at least contains a section about how to make your database efficient)

Rationale for that book list: if you really think that a MMO engine has anything to do with OpenGL or DirectX, I strongly suggest you to postpone your project. The most interesting part of a MMO engine is the server part. The client part can be handled by any game engine out there, so adding yours to the list will not give a greater value to your package.

Final note: OpenGL and DirectX? Is there a reason for that? One should be enough, as I see it.

HTH,

Refactoring to patterns.... ( that is after you have read all the others) an MMORPG is a massive project ... if you don't constantly refactor your engine it will become obsolete, cluttered, and just down right ugly.
-durfy

Quote:
Original post by Emmanuel Deloget
* Armitage, Claypool & Branch's "Networking and Online Games" (Wiley); this book is quite technical about how to setup a network-powered game. It's also a very precious book.

I was wondering about this book and asking if it's worth the price tag on it? It looks really small and costs more than some of my university textbooks.

Quote:
Original post by eedok
Quote:
Original post by Emmanuel Deloget

I was wondering about this book and asking if it's worth the price tag on it? It looks really small and costs more than some of my university textbooks.

Honestly, the small part I read in this book was quite clever and very interesting. Granted, it's short, but it is also very technical. That's a good book (I should do write a review...)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!