• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
iSphere

Does anyone here use DirectX 10?

This topic is 3986 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi everyone, I just got a new computer (Windows Vista), and I was wondering if it would be wise to start programming in DirectX 10. But I am kind of concerned, because if dx10 was such a hit, then why haven't any games using dx10 come out yet? I would really appreciate it if anyone could help me list whatever they know about the following below. -Good books to learn dx10? Online resources? Etc? -Advantages & Disadvantages? -Worthy of learning? -Why no games using dx10 came out yet? -How can I get started on it? -Where can I get the SDK? -Do YOU have vista and/or dx10? -How many on gamedev will be able to run my dx10 programs? Estimate? Thank you very much, iSphere

Advertisement
-Good books to learn dx10? Online resources? Etc?
As D3D10 is still very new there is hardly anything beyond the SDK documentation available

-Advantages & Disadvantages?
Most people think that the D3D10 API is much cleaner. But the price for this is losing backward compatibility.

-Worthy of learning?
Depends on what’s your aim.

-Why no games using dx10 came out yet?
There are a few D3D10 patches already out. The main reason why most developers don’t jump to this wagon is the low number of people that can run Direct3D 10 at all.

-How can I get started on it?
The SDK samples and tutorials should give you a felling how thinks work.

-Where can I get the SDK?
Dirct3D 10 is a part of the regular DirectX SDK

-Do YOU have vista and/or dx10?
Sure.

-How many on gamedev will be able to run my dx10 programs? Estimate?
Hard to say. IIRC the last Valve survey shows that less than 5% of steam users can run Direct3D 10 applications.

i thought all the games that came out with the big white Windows ready label across the top where able to run in DX10, Company of Heroes for example!

• Good books to learn dx10? Online resources? Etc?

• My best bet at this moment would be the MSDN DX10 section, or equivalently the DX10 SDK (which contains the same documentation, offline).
  • Advantages & disadvantages?

• +Completely revised driver model, introducing things like memory virtualization;
    +Geometry shaders, a new programmable pipeline stage;
    +Completely revised API, introducing for one immutable render state objects (speed);
    +Stream-out;
    +Shader Model 4.0;
    -Windows Vista only;
    -Backwards incompatible (...);
    -Unoptimized drivers (at the moment).
    I'm probably forgetting one or more things on both sides of the balance.
  • Worthy of learning?

• Yes. It is after all, whether you like it or not, the future. OpenGL is heading in the same direction, and that's not a bad thing at all (on the contrary, IMHO).
  • Why no games using dx10 came out yet?

• There are (faulty) patches out for a few games, but Crysis is probably the most notable game supporting DX10 out of the box. I'm not really sure on this one, but I believe Supreme Commander also supports DX10 (or was it multi-core?).
  • How can I get started on it?

• See numero uno.
  • Where can I get the SDK?

• See number one.
  • Do YOU have vista and/or dx10?

• No, and I'm not planning on getting it any time soon, for a few personal reasons (mostly work related). Besides, OpenGL does it all without Windows Vista.
  • How many on gamedev will be able to run my dx10 programs? Estimate?

• I think you might be surprised how many people already have upgraded to Windows Vista and/or a GF8/ATI610 GPU. I don't though :-).

Cheers.

D3D10 is still in "early adopter" territory - it's not yet become "mass market".

It has a high entry level due to requiring new hardware and a new OS, so many people stick with XP/D3D9 because they don't want to invest time/money in new kit.

It has a very small target audience due to this high entry level - so you've got the chicken-and-egg scenario. No one wants to make a D3D10-specific product until there's an audience for it and the audience won't bother upgrading until theres a good reason to...

Myself, I'm exclusively using D3D10 now and I have no intention of going back to D3D9. But I have the luxury of Vista+Gf8800 and I'm not too concerned about distributing my applications to a large audience...

hth
Jack

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!