[java] Java and Open Office?

Started by
4 comments, last by cignox1 16 years, 8 months ago
[Bored wandering thought waring!] Something that came up in a now unmentionable thread was that Open Office was in C++, but a larger number of people apparently believe it is Java based. What part does Sun play in this, and what is Java used for in Open Office and why?
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
Advertisement
The very first link when you google for "openoffice java".
While useful, (and odd to compare the difference between using "" and not, and Open Office vs OpenOffice, one gives technical stuff while the other seems to offer complaints about how "shitty" Java is,...) it still doesn't really address the bigger part of the question of Why.

What were their reasons for choosing to do some parts in Java, and not another language?

*Edit* Seems some of you misunderstood the part in the ( ), which was a comment on the usefulness of the returns from search engines based on how the query is formated.

And Lightbringer, what part didn't I read very closely? What I read wasn't linked anywhere in this thread because it was useless junk.

[Edited by - Talroth on July 27, 2007 8:46:50 AM]
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
Because someone realized that Java is perfectly suited and solution used well tested, mature and understood.

So rather than re-inventing the wheel for the n-th time, they used that.

The Java sucks argument makes one merely look silly these days. Business has proven in hard cash the true value of Java and its impact on development time, scalability and reliability.
Quote:Original post by Talroth
...one gives technical stuff while the other seems to offer complaints about how shitty Java is,...

You didn't read that part very closely. All they say there is that open-source purists have complained about the dependence on a closed-source product. That doesn't make Java "shitty" (which is not what that Wikipedia page says), and in fact it's anything but "shitty". And now that Java is going open-source, that whole argument is moot anyway.

As for the reason for Java, the close historical relation of the OpenOffice.org suite to Sun Microsystems should make it clear why Java was chosen in the first place.

I always thought that OpenOffice was written in java, and that only a small starter app was c++ (though I never investigated this topic deeply)...until I read that unmentionable thread :-)
Good to hear that Java is becoming OpenSource. I suppose that Sun will also release rights on the Java trademark and so on...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement