[java] Suitable Java 3D engine

Started by
11 comments, last by javajoey 16 years, 8 months ago
Is anyone using a 3D engine for Java that would work well with medium size (i.e. larger than a room, smaller than a flight sim) maps that they could recommend? I'm going to start looking at the following: jPCT Espresso 3D jMonkeyEngine
Advertisement
I would recommend jMonkeyEngine. It has a good community around it and the creators of it were hired by NCSoft to create a game with it.

The last release from Expresso3D was 2 years ago.

Never heard of jPCT.

There is also Xith. http://xith.org/
"None of us learn in a vacuum; we all stand on the shoulders of giants such as Wirth and Knuth and thousands of others. Lend your shoulders to building the future!" - Michael Abrash[JavaGaming.org][The Java Tutorial][Slick][LWJGL][LWJGL Tutorials for NeHe][LWJGL Wiki][jMonkey Engine]
There's also Aviatrix3D, but it's not meant for games. I too would recommend jME despite not having worked with it, for it is the engine that has the most apparent backing in the Java community.
Quote:Original post by CaptainJester
Never heard of jPCT.
It's available since 2002, it was the first 3D engine adopting LWJGL (was software only before) and there are some references to it at Javagaming.org (including a few games and other apps created with it). I have a link to it in my signature on JGO, it has an entry in the javagamesfactory and lwjgl.org links to it, too. It appears first when searching google for "java 3d engine". How did you manage not to hear about it? This makes me feel small...:(
Sorry.

Only got on JGO in 2004 and never saw it discussed since. Rarely if ever go in JavaGamesFactory, because it is down a lot whenever I go, so I just stopped trying, although it could be working now. Never visited the links page on LWJGL. Never searched for java 3d engine, because I already knew about jME and Xith3D from JGO. It sometimes takes me a while to notice links in people's sigs, especially if I don't read a lot of posts from them.
"None of us learn in a vacuum; we all stand on the shoulders of giants such as Wirth and Knuth and thousands of others. Lend your shoulders to building the future!" - Michael Abrash[JavaGaming.org][The Java Tutorial][Slick][LWJGL][LWJGL Tutorials for NeHe][LWJGL Wiki][jMonkey Engine]
Egon, it's not such a big deal. I've never heard of it either, and I'm also very much into LWJGL. We can't possibly know every engine out there. Plus, those of us who roll our own engines in our spare time have no real need to look up the ones already out there [grin]
Quote:Original post by lightbringer
Egon, it's not such a big deal. I've never heard of it either, and I'm also very much into LWJGL. We can't possibly know every engine out there. Plus, those of us who roll our own engines in our spare time have no real need to look up the ones already out there [grin]
I'm not taking this as serious as it may have sounded...it's just that i suffer from this effect from day one and i never understood why. "Everybody" knows about xith albeit a lot less projects are based on it than on jPCT. So i must be doing something wrong and i would like to know what...well, thinking further about it, maybe i don't. Giving support for the existing user base fills enough of my time. Anyway, thanks for listening... :)

[Edited by - EgonOlsen on July 28, 2007 5:37:20 AM]
Doh, I should have noticed that you're the main guy over at the jPCT forums. Are you the creator of that engine? I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you or your product :D

Are there really so many more projects based on jPCT though? I can't find a list of Xith projects, but going solely by forum activity, I'd think it should be roughly the same as for Xith. By the way, the screenshots of Bloodridge look vaguely familiar and have probably shown up on JGO before, so I guess I did have some previous exposure to your engine.
jPCT looks really good, well done for all your efforts :)

I have checked out your demos and I am impressed with what you have achieved!

Quote:Original post by EgonOlsen
Quote:Original post by lightbringer
I'm not taking this as serious as it may have sounded...it's just that i suffer from this effect from day one and i never understood why. "Everybody" knows about xith albeit a lot less projects are based on it than on jPCT. So i must be doing something wrong and i would like to know what...well, thinking further about it, maybe i don't. Giving support for the existing user base fills enough of my time. Anyway, thanks for listening... :)

You need to make announcements ont JGO for each release. No matter how minor.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement