strange indentation style

Started by
32 comments, last by Cygon 16 years, 8 months ago
I realised reading this that int my current project, intended for public consumption, I use 200 chars per line as my maximum limit.

Since I use small fonts at high resolution, this is probably far in excess of many programmer's horizontal screen ranges.

If I were to use 160 chars per line would this be OK for public consumption?

Advertisement
Quote:Original post by shukapi
I realised reading this that int my current project, intended for public consumption, I use 200 chars per line as my maximum limit.

Since I use small fonts at high resolution, this is probably far in excess of many programmer's horizontal screen ranges.

If I were to use 160 chars per line would this be OK for public consumption?

In the NoteTab text editor (which is my default programming environment) my default font and window size allows ~90 characters before line wrap or scrolling is forced. When maximized, this is increased to ~155 characters.

I am guessing that 160 is about perfect, although there is still an arguement for < 80 characters per line if this code is expected to be worked with in a text mode.

I hate when opening and closing brackets don't fall along the same vertical line. That just makes it harder to verify that every statement block begins and ends where it is supposed to.

I also hate spaces, but I wouldn't make a deal out of a styling detail that doesn't harm functionality or waste my time.
Programming since 1995.
I guess for Open Source projects, 80 columns might still be the way to go.

As for game development, I think anyone developing a game will have access to a graphical IDE, so there's no need to take care of good old 80x25 anymore. I'm using 100 columns, because that's as much as people can usually see at 1280x1024 TFTs with a decent-sized font.

-Markus-
Professional C++ and .NET developer trying to break into indie game development.
Follow my progress: http://blog.nuclex-games.com/ or Twitter - Topics: Ogre3D, Blender, game architecture tips & code snippets.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement