• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Argos

Newbie help, and directx help(basic).

This topic is 4078 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I had visual c++ express installed on my pc and then I deleted(or so I thought) it a while back. I came back to c++ programming and wanted to install a fresh copy of c++ express but It wouldnt load. It stopped at the 1/5 mark. I looked on the instructions and It said I needed to get rid of any prior copy on my pc. I checked and I saw it was still there(sort of). There was no uninstall so I deleted everything in it and finally the folder. The problem is the main folder wont die. It says it is open somewhere else. Is there anyway to bipass that and get rid of the folder so I can have it again. Should I look at a new compiler if I cant do it? Also a basic directx question, I know how to install platform sdk to make windows , but i couldnt find one to tell me how to install directx. Do I just make a Library and Include file and add the directory or what? Also is there any site where I can test out the code to see if I have did it right. Is vc++ express my only choice for directx? Thanks

Advertisement
Quote:

Also a basic directx question, I know how to install platform sdk to make windows , but i couldnt find one to tell me how to install directx. Do I just make a Library and Include file and add the directory or what?

Hey, assuming you've already downloaded the DirectX SDK, you need to add afew paths to your vsc++.
First, under Tools > Options > Projects & Solutions > VC++ Directories.
Select 'Include' from the combobox and add the directory of your DX include files, its probarbly in c:\program files\directx sdk\include
Then select 'Library Files' and put the path for those, probarbly
c:\program files\directx sdk\lib\x86

Then when you've got a project going, you need to link the libraries. Goto
Project > Project Properties > Linker > Input and under Additional Dependencies, add afew dx libraries, like dxd9.lib, dxd9x.lib dxguid.lib, dxerr.lib (assuming DirectX9 btw).

And presto, there it is. Now just #include <d3d9.h> and <d3dx9.h> in your source code and you can start using the API.

Quote:

Also is there any site where I can test out the code to see if I have did it right.

The compiler will tell you (maybe :) There is a directX debug output thing which can help you if something isn't working right, but we'll get to that later. At least get everything included and going first.

Quote:

Is vc++ express my only choice for directx?

No, theoretically you could use any compiler to access the DirectX library, but Visual Studio is as good as any, so you may aswell stick with it.

Once you've got the above going maybe start looking at some tutorials on the internet on how to do some basic directX stuff. A good one is at http://www.directxtutorial.com/

Hope this helps!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!