• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ashkash

Multi-threaded Help

This topic is 3987 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have been given c code for a multi-threaded black-scholes financial model. The code is below. In the code below there are a set of threads created and each thread is given seperate arguments to execute code. I need to modify this so that there is one main that initializes the thread_data_array so it does not depend on the number of threads. It can be initialized to an arbitrary number of elements like 25. This thread_data_array will need to store two additional variables: Allocated (1 if computed, 0 if not) and Result (holds final result computed by thread). Then a number of threads need to be spawned for execution. When a thread enters the Black-Scholes function it should try to lock the thread_data_array and check to see if an element requires computation (if Allocated is 0). If so, it should copy the data into the local thread_data variables, unlock the array, and execute. Once done executing, it should lock the array, write back the results and update the allocated variable, and unlock the array. I really do not know how to go about doing this. I am not looking for someone to do my assignment, but just looking for help. Any help is appreciated. I was told that there is not a lot of code that needs to be changed or added to the model below to accomplish the modifications. #include <pthread.h> #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <math.h> #ifndef Pi #define Pi 3.141592653589793238462643 #endif #define NUM_THREADS 7 char *messages[NUM_THREADS]; struct thread_data { int thread_id; char flag; double stock_price; double strike_price; double years; double rate_risk_free; double volatility; }; struct thread_data thread_data_array[NUM_THREADS]; double CND( double ); void *BlackScholes(void *threadarg) { int taskid; struct thread_data *my_data; double d1, d2; double S, X, T, r, v; char CallPutFlag; my_data = (struct thread_data *)threadarg; taskid = my_data->thread_id; CallPutFlag = my_data->flag; S = my_data->stock_price; X = my_data->strike_price; T = my_data->years; r = my_data->rate_risk_free; v = my_data->volatility; d1=(log(S/X)+(r+v*v/2)*T)/(v*sqrt(T)); d2=d1-v*sqrt(T); if(CallPutFlag == 'c') printf("Thread %d Price =%f\n", taskid, (S*CND(d1)-X * exp(-r*T)*CND(d2))); else if(CallPutFlag == 'p') printf("Thread %d Price =%f\n", taskid, (X*exp(-r * T) * CND(-d2) - S * CND(-d1))); pthread_exit(NULL); } // The cumulative normal distribution function double CND( double X ) { double L, K, w ; double const a1 = 0.31938153, a2 = -0.356563782, a3 = 1.781477937; double const a4 = -1.821255978, a5 = 1.330274429; L = fabs(X); K = 1.0 / (1.0 + 0.2316419 * L); w = 1.0 - 1.0 / sqrt(2 * Pi) * exp(-L *L / 2) * (a1 * K + a2 * K *K + a3 * pow(K,3) + a4 * pow(K,4) + a5 * pow(K,5)); if (X < 0 ){ w= 1.0 - w; } return w; } int main() { pthread_t threads[NUM_THREADS]; int *taskids[NUM_THREADS]; int rc, t; for(t=0;t<NUM_THREADS;t++) { thread_data_array[t].thread_id = t; thread_data_array[t].flag = 'c'; thread_data_array[t].stock_price = 15.0; thread_data_array[t].strike_price = 22.0; thread_data_array[t].years = ((double)rand() / ((double)RAND_MAX + (double)1.0))*15; thread_data_array[t].rate_risk_free = ((double)rand() / ((double)RAND_MAX + (double)1.0))*5; thread_data_array[t].volatility = ((double)rand() / ((double)RAND_MAX + (double)1.0))*1.0; printf("Creating thread %d\n", t); rc = pthread_create(&threads[t], NULL, BlackScholes, (void *) &thread_data_array[t]); if (rc) { printf("ERROR; return code from pthread_create() is %d\n", rc); exit(-1); } } for(t=0; t<NUM_THREADS; t++) { int ret, status; ret = pthread_join(threads[t], (void **)&status); if(ret != 0) { printf("pthread_join: ERROR: t=%d return code =%d\n", t, ret); exit(1); } printf("Joined thread_id = %d\n", t); } pthread_exit(NULL); return 0; }

Advertisement
Since this is homework you need to pass some hurdle questions before you get help:

1) How long have you thought about the problem?
2) What options have you considered and/or rejected?
3) What ideas do you have for how to do this?

"I really do not know how to go about doing this" generally means: "i've thought about it for a couple minutes and nothing came to mind". Generally complex CS questions take a couple hours of analysis and thought before an answer presents itself. If you were given this as homework then you should have the knowledge & resources to at least make a stab at a solution.

-me

I know how to initialize the thread_data_array and how to create the threads. The part that is giving me trouble is in the blackscholes function the array needs to be checked for an element with allocated=0 and if this element is found all the data from this element needs to be copied into the local my_data variables. Would something like the code below in the blackscholes function work:

for(int count=0; count<4;count++){
if (thread_data_array[count].allocated = 0)
my_data = (struct thread_data *)threadarg;
taskid = my_data->thread_data_array[count].thread_id;
CallPutFlag = my_data->thread_data_array[count].flag;
S = my_data->thread_data_array[count].stock_price;
X = my_data->thread_data_array[count].strike_price;
T = my_data->thread_data_array[count].years;
r = my_data->thread_data_array[count].rate_risk_free;
v = my_data->thread_data_array[count].volatility;
a = my_data->thread_data_array[count].allocated;
}

The code assumes that the thread_data_array is set to hold 4 elements.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!