• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
3dnewbie

resolution - how to handle your graphics

This topic is 3986 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok, i am wondering how to handle this. Imagine i'm coding on a 1024x768 resolution. Everything looks fine, but then someone runs my software on his 640x480 platform and all of a sudden my eventviewer is to large to handle his screen estate. I mean stuff that has dynamic boundaries like a world isn't that bad i guess, but a eventviewer or a box with a message has boundaries. How do i fix this ? I can imagine a few solutions, but i'm not sure this is the proper way. 1. take the resolution upon startup and use that to calculate boundaries for boxes 2. only 1 resolution. don't run on anything less or more. 3. disallow resize of the window but how do games do this? they usually start at one resolution and then you can set it yourself ingame. Do they start at the lowest resolution possible? I'm really at a loss how to implement this properly. And another question regarding those boxes. If i have a event in my eventviewer, do i really have to hardcode the size of the event so that it not goes through the eventbox? It seems like a tacky/hacky way to do this. Any help on how to approach this would be greatly appreciated. I'm programming on a mac on 1680x1050 now, and you can imagine that although it looks good on this machine, it would certainly be cropped on a ibook with 1024x768. Any help greatly appreciated!

Advertisement
Just keep track of the resolution and recalculate the positions of the elements. This is easy if you keep track of the elements' positions as relative coordinates.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!