• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
NoobProger

VB 6.0 good enough or forget it?!?

This topic is 3984 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Well I been learning to program on my own (and with the help of Dreamincode.net, don't mean to advertise, gamedev.net seems like a larger support community for me.) for the last month - I started with VB 6.0 - I figured it would be a simple RAD tool that I could use to come out with games, and later try a harder lango such as C++ 6.0 or later. Now I'm starting to reconsider, considering that VB 6.0 is some what old... My over all goal is to be able to make simple (I wish I ment simple, its still hard for me to even make a simple game...) 2D MMO games. So here is the main question with all explained above - is VB 6.0 powerful enough, and stable enough in the long run to make and support a MMO 2D game, or should I stop chasing my own tail and go with C++? I'm already half-way into a 1000 page book, and I feel like I'll be just ripping myself apart if I quit now and move to another lango... (that or maybe switching now will help me understand even more about programming.) Also - I don't go to school for programming, this is, as odd as it sounds - a hobby of mine that I been meaning to pickup for awhile... will I be able to buy the academic verison of Microsoft Studio 2005 and legally use it to distrube games? Or do you fellas have any other suggestions on how to obtain a great, cheap working verison of C++ (M$ includes alot of other software with the C++ in 2005 for only 100 bucks (academic verison)) Sorry for throwing all these random questions in there - I try to start a simple question, and just keep adding more and more.... Already looked into the beginnger section of the site... which help'd me lean toward wanting to use C++, but if I can use VB 6.0 to accomplish MY goals - then should I change? I don't want to make any 3D games or anyting state-of-the-art... Ok ok damnit let me stop before I write a book of questions - thanks in advance.

Advertisement
Forget it. At the very least, go get Visual Basic.Net Express and use it (though, I'd personally suggest C# over VB)

How much does a good copy of C# cost? whats the differ from C#, and C++? I already have afew C++ books I have on the way... Gotta love Amazon. Either way I don't want a all out war over which is better, or pros or cons - I just want to know if my goals are realistic with the compiler I'm using. 1 for no, 0 for yes.

So far I'm thinking of going C++ - can I just buy the Microsoft Visual Studio 2005? Anyone have some good cheap sites for software such as this?

Visual C# Express (and Visual C++ Express and Visual Basic Express) are all freely available on Microsoft's web site.

C# is an entirely different language than C++, although it shares some syntactic traits. Your goals are realistic, but would be more realistic in VB.NET or C# than in C++; C++ is a terrible language for beginners and both C# and VB will allow you to be vastly more productive with no appreciable disadvantages.

You can learn to program using Visual Basic. Visual Basic and C#, in my opinion, are much better first languages than C++. With C++, you'll spend little of your time learning to program and a lot of your time learning to work around the intricacies of C++. With C# or VB, that ratio is more evened out.

Quote:
Original post by jpetrie
Visual C# Express (and Visual C++ Express and Visual Basic Express) are all freely available on Microsoft's web site.

C# is an entirely different language than C++, although it shares some syntactic traits. Your goals are realistic, but would be more realistic in VB.NET or C# than in C++; C++ is a terrible language for beginners and both C# and VB will allow you to be vastly more productive with no appreciable disadvantages.

There we go! Thats what I wanted to hear. Thank god! I had no idea that they are free, whats the limitations for the "express" verisons of these compilers? I figure with that said I'll go ahead and complete this book I've got - learn what it has to offer about VB 6.0 (with using DirectX8) and then try to apply what I've learned to more upgraded verisons. My long term goal is to move to C++ I just don't want it to be all to much at once. Guess I've also got to check out C#, I ignored it entirely, I thought it was like a early version of C++, THATS BECAUSE I'M A NOOB PROGER :)

Thanks for the tip about the free visuals - much needed... will help me decide down the road what I want to buy as well.

Well, the Express editions lacks, for example, some tools like a profiler (used to know how much time every portion on your code takes, to simplify) and expandability, but for your purposes are more than appropiate.
Actually, they're more than capable to do more advanced things :D

As you're aiming to game development, you could also try XNA, which is (again, simplifying) C# Express and DirectX bundled together with emphasis on games and graphics, for both windows and X-Box.
It doesn't support networking, yet, although the announced version 2.0 does. I don't remember the exact date of release, but I remember that's soon. I guess that you can always do the networking code in a separate class using the current .NET framework classes, and when XNA includes it, just change the class implementation (tip: look into interfaces for C#).

As a bonus, there is a Workshop for C# going on right now on the forums.

EDIT: XNA FAQ from Microsoft

Hope this help you!

Yeah I found out about XNA while I was sitting around on my 360, one of the first things I saw that made me want to get back into programing... I used to make simple programs (not games) WAY BACK in the day, when AOL 3.0 was the craze, Rhydin filled every chatroom, and "Punters and Progs" were the crazyness enclosed... (please keep in mind I'm, young, back in the day to me could be several years ago.) - I'm pretty sure I'm not interested in XNA at all, not sure what put me off to it - but I did make me realize I wanted to program games / learn alot of things simply dealing with programming... I know I would have a easy time making my game etc, as the same deal with Flash... but I don't want to even mess with XNA...

I guess I'm going to finish the book I started as planned(VB 6.0), then try to mess around with C#, or C++ ... I'll pick that road when the time comes. Thanks for all the useful suggestions guys - it would have taken awhile to get this amount of replys if I was using dreamincode.net still - I think I found my new home. :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!