• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
BrianH

Opinions on Torque

This topic is 4123 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I don't see many posts here related to the Torque Game Engine (or Advanced version) and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with it. If so, what are your opinions of it? Thanks, Brian

Advertisement
First of all, I want to say that I have a Torque Game Engine and Arcane FX Licenses. I would say I HATE TORQUE that much! Yes, it is cheap and I can say you get what paid for. So why do I hate it?

1. Support quality. GG cheats by making you pay on something that has a support that operates like an open source one. You won't be always getting support from the people behind the technology and just take long to get answer because other Torque users try to guess what your problem is. Remember, not all users of Torque are good at it.

2. The engine is really old to the point that it's architecture really can kill the horsepower of a new modern computer due to the excessive layers of updates as time pass. Worse, these layers are not always GG exclusive updates, these are simply compilations of good resources submitted by other users (sounds like open source huh). Basically, the engine is padded with too much layers that hoping to make it simplistic up to being a core engine is too much to do.

3. I have other problems with this but the 2 above is what I think that you should think about.

So, if you're aspiring to be a good game programmer, you're better of going for free projects and practice putting all these together that will suit your needs. I recommend Torque for Game Designers and those who are afraid to code.

2 cents.

I tend to shy away from TGE for a few reasons:

There is something about the way the TGE is advertised which concerns me. Im not sure, but it seems like they are deliberately selling it like its a simple mickey mouse toy, which of course it isn't. Just a feeling I have. I'm always very cynical when presented with advertising material.

GG don't actually have a lot demos on their website, so I wonder how many "I'm going to make an MMO/FPS/RTS/RPG" people bought it, and subsequently didn't understand it. I also wonder how many experienced game developers avoid it like the plague.

Time spend learning somebodies game engine is tim not spend learning game programming in general. I have told myself I'm going to write my own game engine by the time I'm through university (I've got four years to go) and then I would buy a commercial game engine and apply what I've learned. I would advise any budding game developer to do the same, since you don't want $150 worth of code too complex for you to understand. Of course, if you do have the experience with game engines, you could put together something pretty impressive with the TGE, I've seen what it can do. But writing a video game with a low budget game engine is not a get rich quick scheme. At best, its a get-some-money-eventually scheme.

On the upside, $150 is quite cheap for a fully flexed game engine. I hear the downside to TGE is its sound and its physics interaction: but thats just hearsay.
my two pence

If you're on a Mac, I'd suggest looking at Unity (unity3d.com). I won't go into details, since there are so many positives! But, if you go over to their forums, you'll find many, many testimonies from Users coming from Director, Torque, BlitzBasic, Virtools, or other free available engines.

They do plan a windows build of the engine in the future, but it all ready can build games for Windows :)

I don't know what all of the bad blood is about. I bought torque and while I was put off and disappointed at first, I will admit I did have to buy the Game Programmer's Guide to Torque. Anyways, with this book anyways I really am taking a liking to Torque and believe it's WAY more powerful than most assume.

Check out my blog at http://lifeprogramming.blogspot.com for more information.

Take a look at the reviews here. I've heard that some of them are biased, but you might still get some useful information.

My company looked into Torque a few years ago. We found that it would require a lot of fixes in the engine just for stability. Everyone, that we found, making games with Torque had rewritten parts of the engine, to fix the stability problem. It would have cost a significant amount of money to purchase this update from a developer.

Supposedly version 1.5 addressed some of these issues, but we haven't verified this.

In my opinion the main issue with Torque is the lack of flexibility
Torque has been designed for the FPS multifunction game Tribes
As long as you want to develop something similar , that's ok, otherwise it is a pain

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!