• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Deliverance

Breakout collision between pad and ball

This topic is 3983 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys! I'm currently developing a breakout clone and I'm having some problems doing collision between the pad and the ball. I treat the pad as a static capsule and do a swept sphere test with the ball, this causes problems because the pad moves too. How can I implement collision between 2 dynamic objects? Any easy way to get out of the problem?

Advertisement
Those are some pretty good links posted above... I may look to use them when I can.

The slickest thing that I saw on these boards which gave me a eureka moment was to make the ball a point. So all of the math was point based and not circle or spehere based. Then the kicker is that the blocks and paddles were mathematically larger by the radius of the ball but still graphically the same.

That way the centre point of the ball will collide with the extended invisible sides of the blocks and paddles. That way it would be more line to line type collisions to have to calculate for.

That made the math a whole lot easier for me to digest.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!