• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
JacksonEMG

Aaron Cox's Tutorials?

This topic is 4160 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So I found this site about SDL tutorials and some games that he wrote in SDL. I've heard of LazyFoo's tutorials but I wanted to know what people think of this site: http://www.aaroncox.net/tutorials/ It's a little dated so I'm a little apprehensive to learn from it. What do you guys think? Should I just go ahead buy the 'Focus on SDL' book instead of wasting my time on free online tutorials?

Advertisement
Personally, I don't think that book offers much beyond what is found in the documentation or various tutorials.

Aaron's tutorials are very short and have little or no discussion of general concepts related to graphics or game programming (e.g., double buffering, animation). He mostly just shows you some code with very basic explanations of what it does. His tutorials also have some mistakes in them (he says that double buffering is used to increase performance and while there's some truth to that, it completely misses the point).

Lazy Foo's tutorials are much better. They are more detailed and cover a LOT more material. I suggest that you stick to them for learning SDL.

Have you looked at Cone3D (http://cone3d.gamedev.net) before? Lazy Foo's tutorials are great, but they don't really show you how to make a game(Shows you have to use SDL). Cone3D has tutorials and 2 of them you make games in. I say you look at both Lazy foo and Cone3D's tutorials.

Yes, I used cone3d and Lazyfoo's tutorials to learn SDL fairly well. Later, I used Aaron Cox's too. With internet tutorials it is often best to use a combination of sites, using whatever explains the topic at hand in a way that is most understandable. As far as the tutorials being dated, I don't think that will be much of a problem, but I do remember ultimately running into a tutorial (at aaroncox.net) that just would not compile no matter what and with no support I was left hanging and had to abandon it...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!