[Ask] About publishing J2ME Games and DRM

Started by
2 comments, last by eng3d 16 years, 8 months ago
I might be considered a newbie, since I've only started development on several game titles. My question is, How do you implement DRM in J2ME games? I've just begun reading articles on OMA-DRM, so I'm a newbie in DRM too :) Is DRM settings such as forward lock becomes the developer's (myself) responsibility, or will the publisher, a publisher site such as handango provide this? Please enlighten me..
Advertisement
DRM is usually handled by the handset itself, so it's really up to the phone manufacturer. Some telcos might alter the firmware on their branded phones to add DRM features too.

As a developer there is not much you can do. Sure you can try to add some protection schemes into your app, but since Java is so easy to reverse-engineer I think that it would be an exercise in futility.

shmoove
Thanks for the reply, but does that mean when we develop a Java game for a publisher site (or a content reseller, whichever terms is used) we don't need any DRM settings? I need to know, since I've never sold my games yet, and planning to do so through a publisher site (Handango is my current choice).
Quote:Original post by BhimZ
Thanks for the reply, but does that mean when we develop a Java game for a publisher site (or a content reseller, whichever terms is used) we don't need any DRM settings? I need to know, since I've never sold my games yet, and planning to do so through a publisher site (Handango is my current choice).

I remember that handango give some tools/tips for activate a game.

Anyways you always can create a key generator depending on the IMEI of the customers.

-----------------------------------------------"Cuando se es peon, la unica salida es la revolución"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement