Sign in to follow this  
mlegend

input text

mlegend    122
Hello, I am making a 2d game using direct3d and directx9 .. Now my game is pretty far completed, but theres one thing i wanted to ask, i try to make a save menu. For the save menu the user can choose new save game or overwrite another. Now my question is, if the user make a new save game, how can i let the user type text on an easy way? Do i have to check for each key if its pressed and then add the lettre from that key to a string and display that? (bit overdone isnt it) I also was thinking about loading a new form and put a textbox on that but i dont rly like that ... Anyone any ideas?

shukapi    124
What GUI system are you using for your game?

You could use the method used by old games - 10 or so save slots called save00.sav to save09.sav or something. Then just scroll up or down to select the slot. If you're making more than a quick game you probably want to do better than this tho.

Otherwise, your two methods are the best ways to do it.

mlegend    122
Hey,

(i use microsoft visual studio 2005 and c# btw)

For the load screen (which i already made and works) it just read an directory for .sav files and display the name of these without extention.

So i want to make that u can add as many save files as u want actually.
If my options are the only way then i guess i have no other choise -.-'

Thanx for ure reply

nobodynews    3126
I've seen some games just use a time stamp for the save game. So you could have the person save and when they go to load, it will display the time they saved, the total in-game time, a screen shot of where the player was, and the level name. And when the user saves they can either click "new save" or select an existing save to overwrite.

mlegend    122
@nobodynews

Ah thats a good idea, that save me a lot of trouble, i will try this.. (instead of the screeny i just display some ingame stats i guess)

thnx