An alternative to standard training model (clever)

Started by
14 comments, last by Sensei Maku 16 years, 8 months ago
What's the motivation behind this mechanic? Maybe I'm missing something but I don't really understand what the point of it is.

It seems to me you're adding a new layer of skills that you need to grind in order to be able to grind your real skills efficiently. Which just sounds like more grinding to me.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by CTar
To discourage a player from killing the same kind of monster many RPGs give less and less EXP every time you kill it, but your feature is exactly the opposite.

Not necessarily, something to be careful of once more, but theres no reason why the rate of exp you are gaining should increase rather than decrease.

Look at it like this:

Say 1 in 3 monsters has a booster and you don't know which have it.
Say on your first level, you get 100 exp from each booster, the rate set by the game.
That means youre going to get 33 exp per fight.

By level 10 you've narrowed the monsters down to 1 in 2, 1/3 of monsters are glowing and you decide to attack another 1/6 that aren't.
But now youre only getting 50 exp per booster, the rate set by the game for level 10.
That means youre going to get 25 exp per fight.

In other words it decreases.

Also in final fantasy, while your levels went up slower the longer you went on, your abilities went up exponentially, so theres evidence some players like it that way.

To make games more fun/interesting.
Quote:Original post by thelovegoose
To make games more fun/interesting.

That's a given for every thread in this forum. I was expecting a slightly more specific answer. How are you expecting this system to enhance the gameplay?

You say it will change the training model 'significantly'. Unless I'm misunderstanding something, I don't really see what changes.

For example:
Quote:
Say 1 in 3 monsters has a booster and you don't know which have it.
Say on your first level, you get 100 exp from each booster, the rate set by the game.
That means youre going to get 33 exp per fight.

By level 10 you've narrowed the monsters down to 1 in 2, 1/3 of monsters are glowing and you decide to attack another 1/6 that aren't.
But now youre only getting 50 exp per booster, the rate set by the game for level 10.
That means youre going to get 25 exp per fight.

Why not just award 33 xp per monster in the first instance and 25 xp in the second? What do you actually gain from the added complexity?

I'm not trying to dismiss the idea, I'm trying to understand what you're trying to achieve with this mechanism.
Well, the word grinding was used to describe the standard training model, because next to no thought is required, the process is generally static through the game, in that the way you grind doesn't change
The aim is to create a system that does involve thinking (mostly a more involved use of risk analysis), and is dynamic (the way you pick fights changes).
My initial feeling is that both of these amount to more fun training.

Edit:
Also I really think that the complexity is only in the understanding of a system spelt out in forum posts. If you could see it working you'd see its actually very simple.
It seems to me that what the OP suggests is that the boosters are more akin to skill ups, or improved abilities rather than traditional experience. So the benefit of having an improved detection would be that you could develop your character as you choose rather than fighting hordes of creatures for random stat increases. I think that level of control over character development would appeal to a lot of players.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement