Sign in to follow this  
GROUDON

How can the same code work in 1 project and not another?

//MyExample1
#include <cstdio>
#include <cstdlib>
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

void MyFunc(int *nVar);

int main(void)
{
   int x;
   cout << "Enter a number: " << endl;
   cin  >> x;
   MyFunc(&x);
   cout << "the new number is: ";
   cout << x << endl;
   system("PAUSE");
   return 0;
}

void MyFunc(int* nVar)
{
   ++*nVar;
}
It doesn't work! here is a line from the error output...
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Vc7\include\cstdio(17) : error C2143: syntax error : missing '{' before ':'
Then i made another project, and chose "Empty Project", then made a new item, chose "C++ FIle (.cpp)". I then copied the code text from "MyExample1" and put it in "MyExample2", this is next code is copied directly from "MyExample2"
//MyExample2
#include <cstdio>
#include <cstdlib>
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

void MyFunc(int *nVar);

int main(void)
{
   int x;
   cout << "Enter a number: " << endl;
   cin  >> x;
   MyFunc(&x);
   cout << "the new number is: ";
   cout << x << endl;
   system("PAUSE");
   return 0;
}

void MyFunc(int* nVar)
{
   ++*nVar;
}
It works perfectly! Pretty much this exact incident happened several times before with other projects. The funny thing is, that procedure of making a project is the same as when i first made it. The only other difference between the two projects that i can think of is: that the other was made yesterday, where this one^ was made today, the last one previously had a header file in, where this one didn't. i remade the previous program to include iostream, and that's when it stopped working then i got rid of the header and put the code in the .cpp file, since this program is small enough for that. The first one doesn't work, the last one does. I can't even begin to wonder how in the world one works and another doesn't, provided they have the EXACT same code. What am i doing wrong?

Likely there are differences in the project configuration. You either made them, or maybe you clicked on a different template or any number of reasons. The one true thing about computers is that they are 100% deterministic; they don't just act differently in different situations for no logical reason. =)

If you're curious, then open 2 instances of VS each with one of the projects. then go through each and every tab and option in the project settings to find a line or option that is at all different. When you find the difference, that's your cause.

-me

Quote:
Original post by PhoenixAdmin
Syn. is it possible that you could have misspelled something?

Turns out, yes i did mispell something...

The extention to the file "main"!
I spelled it "main.c"
Where it should be "main.cpp"

I must've accidently added an extention, the MVS .NET 2003 adds the extension for you when you don't.

I found out by opening two instances of MVS then after a little while of looking through the properties of both projects, (like Palidine said) i noticed a little difference in the little tabs near the top that show you what file your looking at, and as i double-took a few times, i notice that i named MyFunc1's source code file "main.c", the other, working one, was named "main.cpp".

That MIGHT prove to be a problem. so i went into windows explorer by pressing a little shortcut button on my keyboard, (isn't that cool) and went to "main.c" and changed it to "main.cpp". I opened up MVS, deleted the main.c in the project, then went to "Add Existing Item" and clicked on "main.cpp", hit "F5" and it ran just like MyFunc2! At least i found the problem!

IN SHORT: i mispelled the file extention.

Quote:
Original post by PhoenixAdmin
Syn. is it possible that you could have misspelled something?

Turns out, yes i did mispell something...

The extention to the file "main"!
I spelled it "main.c"
Where it should be "main.cpp"

I must've accidently added an extention, the MVS .NET 2003 adds the extension for you when you don't.

I found out by opening two instances of MVS then after a little while of looking through the properties of both projects, (like Palidine said) i noticed a little difference in the little tabs near the top that show you what file your looking at, and as i double-took a few times, i notice that i named MyFunc1's source code file "main.c", the other, working one, was named "main.cpp".

That MIGHT prove to be a problem. so i went into windows explorer by pressing a little shortcut button on my keyboard, (isn't that cool) and went to "main.c" and changed it to "main.cpp". I opened up MVS, deleted the main.c in the project, then went to "Add Existing Item" and clicked on "main.cpp", hit "F5" and it ran just like MyFunc2! At least i found the problem!

IN SHORT: i mispelled the file extention.

EDIT: double post! sry!