Sign in to follow this  
tfm

mixing drawprimitives & Mesh

tfm    100
Hi, I just need a suggestion, I'm creating a Mathematical plotter & for rendering 2D graphs I use: DrawPrimitives(PrimitiveType.LineStrip, 0, this.vertices.Count - 1); but for 3D I use the Mesh structure. Is this approach correct ? Also as I need to switch between 2D & 3D I think I need to clear the device data structures & stuff because I don't see a correct 2D plot once I've made a 3D plot because I set stuff like IndexBuffer & VertexBuffer for 3D and then need to return back to plain DrawPrimitives. I guess you understand what I mean Btw I don't use TransformedVertices for 2D. I use CustomVertex.PositionOnly Thanks

jollyjeffers    1570
Quote:
Original post by tfm
DrawPrimitives(PrimitiveType.LineStrip, 0, this.vertices.Count - 1);

but for 3D I use the Mesh structure.

Is this approach correct ?
It's not the only way, but I don't see anything wrong with it. If it works for you then stick with it [smile]

Quote:
Original post by tfm
Also as I need to switch between 2D & 3D I think I need to clear the
device data structures & stuff because I don't see a correct 2D plot
once I've made a 3D plot because I set stuff like IndexBuffer &
VertexBuffer for 3D and then need to return back to plain
DrawPrimitives. I guess you understand what I mean
You need to be careful about managing pipeline configuration. Have a look at state blocks for some API-level help, but otherwise its down to you writing clean code that doesn't rely on any default behaviour nor make any assumptions about pipeline state.

Quote:
Original post by tfm
Btw I don't use TransformedVertices for 2D. I use CustomVertex.PositionOnly
Transformed and lit vertices are intended for 2D but you aren't forced to use them. In fact, using an orthogonal projection matrix and "pure" 3D geometry opens up a lot of options for doing 2D-in-3D...

hth
Jack

jollyjeffers    1570
For 2D rendering I opt for projection-space geometry manipulated via a vertex shader.

Transformed vertices are ideal for static 2D geometry but can be a bit of a pain when you want to change them on a regular basis (as in, regular changes of large amounts of transformed vertices can get slow). Using projection-space coordinates allows for resolution independence (at the cost of making it hard to get pixel-precise accuracy) and access to the full hardware processing capabilities...

hth
Jack

tfm    100
I don't think I'm using Transformed vertices's. I'm using CustomVertex.PositionOnly and I guess that is not Transformed vertices.

tfm    100
ok another thing, the following is part of my render code so drawing a mesh and then a primitive inside the same render function is correct ? cause things aren't working properly.

for (int i = 0; i < numSubSets; ++i)
{
mesh.DrawSubset(i);
}
d3dManager.device.DrawPrimitives(PrimitiveType.LineList, 0, 3);

jollyjeffers    1570
Quote:
I'm using CustomVertex.PositionOnly and I guess that is not Transformed vertices
You are correct.

Quote:
for (int i = 0; i < numSubSets; ++i)
{
mesh.DrawSubset(i);
}
d3dManager.device.DrawPrimitives(PrimitiveType.LineList, 0, 3);
You're not setting things like the VB, IB, FVF (or shaders+decl)... In fact you're doing no pipeline (re-)configuration whatsoever. If it did work it would only be down to coincidence and luck [smile]

You need to configure your pipeline before the DrawPrimitives() call and after DrawSubset(). Exactly how you do this is for you to work out - you haven't given enough information in this thread.

hth
Jack