C++ __forceinline

Started by
12 comments, last by _the_phantom_ 16 years, 8 months ago
I really thought this discussion would have been over and done with in my last post but then, as I was trolling through the forum, I found out it isn't. I don't engage in flame wars as a general rule but these two last posts force me into opening an exception.

I think this has gone way off topic.

Quote:I'm pretty sure that's not the point that you're trying to make with your free speech.

And I'm pretty sure you should have given more consideration to that thought before writing what you did.

Quote:Well, like it or not, but a lot of people see "M$" as a childish term. Don't use it if you don't want to come across as childish.

Quote:"Hey, I used M$, get it? M$? I'm subtly pointing out how greedy they all are!" I'll give you a hint: using "M$" or any variation therefore reflects more on YOU than it does on Microsoft.

This was unnecessary, as it makes me question your mental maturity. I'm not subtly pointing out anything, in fact, I'm actually quite the straight forward kind of person who prefers more of a direct approach, deprived of double-meanings. And I have made that perfectly clear in my posts above.

I don't think I'm childish either, as my children loudly playing in the background keep reminding me. I like the term as much as most people like using emoticons. Yes, using the term M$ does signify something to me as much as my nickname does, but then you might not like it too. But would you question the nature of my nickname? Somehow I don't think so. I guess it's down to personal preference and you shouldn't question it, just like you don't question the many a times ambiguous nature of emoticons. Or do you?

Quote:Long story short: All corporations suck. Even the ones that you may perceive as "good."

Damn right! Welcome to the world of the G8 and their globalized economies upon which we all depend. But was that ever the point? I think YOU should write a blog.

Quote:And calling replacing an 'S' with a '$' "making a point using free speech" is like calling "drawing a pixel" "making a work of art." Sure, you can call it that, but you're wrong.

I guess it depends on the pixel...

Quote:Sure, there are no rules prohibiting the use of it, but really, what is the point?

No, the question should rather be what is the point in picking on a rather harmless term? As far as I'm concerned, the point is there is no point. It's a two-letter term. Period.

But maybe I just got it all wrong. Maybe I'm missing the fact that the term M$ is no longer trendy just like 1337 $p34k isn't and therefore I shouldn't use it. Or maybe I shouldn't use the term because of the many people who misuse it. And you're here to enforce these invisible rules upon everyone you perceive as "childish", "immature" and whatever else.

One thing I know. This "I wanna be different", supposedly neo-avantgarde, and heavily stereotyped posture will not prevail over my likes and dislikes.

Like it or not!
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by 0v3rloader
Quote:Well, like it or not, but a lot of people see "M$" as a childish term. Don't use it if you don't want to come across as childish.

Quote:"Hey, I used M$, get it? M$? I'm subtly pointing out how greedy they all are!" I'll give you a hint: using "M$" or any variation therefore reflects more on YOU than it does on Microsoft.

This was unnecessary, as it makes me question your mental maturity.

Perhaps you should have read what I said, before questioning anything.
I simply stated that a lot of people see "M$" as a childish term.
Which means that people who use the term may be perceived to be immature or childish.
So if you don't want people to perceive you as such, then perhaps you should reconsider using the term. Now where in this did you see a "flame war"?
Where in this did you have a problem with my mental maturity?

And yes, people will certainly question your nickname too. Presumably you like overloading stuff, and the 3 kinda indicates that you think l33t speak is cool.
Again, this might be the wrong impression, but it's the one you choose to give people. Just like when you use M$ it gives the impression "I'm an immature prick who thinks it's cool to say M$ coz Microsucks Windoze suxx0rz so badly"
Wrong impression perhaps, but you're the one choosing that this is what people should see when you post.
Quote:And yes, people will certainly question your nickname too. Presumably you like overloading stuff, and the 3 kinda indicates that you think l33t speak is cool.

No I don't think leet speak is cool, in fact, I hate it. The 3 is in my username for reasons of usually not being able to register with usernames 'overload' or 'overloader'.

What if I were like (most) "people" - as you put it in your post - and started making hilarious analogies between your nickname and The Matrix (the movie)? In all honesty, I don't really care; I stick to the facts. Read on.

Quote:Wrong impression perhaps, but you're the one choosing that this is what people should see when you post.

No, people should see the facts of my posts. If I start a thread, post a reply or whatever else that involves this forum or, for that matter, any other forum out there on the net, I expect people to remain objective, on topic, strictly sticking to the facts and to not make character or moral judgements (or any other kind of judgements) based on such things as user ids, terms employed or any other aspects highly ambiguous in nature.

Remember, the Net is a 'space' all too virtual that lacks the sort of input we all get in real life. WYSI!WYG. Users of virtual forums, such as this one, should be sensible enough to keep this in mind before jump starting to stereotyping other users.
As the OPs question was answered and this is going no where fast I'm gonna push the big purple close button (although why it's purple I don't know, I guess so we don't confuse it with the button which releases the ban-hammer).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement