Sign in to follow this  

Creating a plan

This topic is 3784 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Well, before trying to create a game, It's important to have a plan, I think. So that's where I want to start. And while planning, I came accross a problem quick. How do I save/load settings (like resolution, nickname, etc). I could use the regedit, but is it the best solution or is there any better? And even if I know where/how I'll save my settings, when should my game load the settings, and what if there are no settings set? Here is a little cut out my programming plan: IF game is running THEN activate window and exit ELSE IF settings are saved THEN create window with saved settings ELSE create window with standard settings Wich would look like this in C++: if (GameRunning) { ActivateWindow(); return 0; } else if (SettingsSaved) { CreateWindow(with saved settings); } else { CreateWindow(with std settings); } Okay, but this is just the start, and it's still incomplete (no error handling, checking if settings are valid, etc). That's why I need your help. Is there anyone who could tell me what a game needs (like in the example, what do I need at the start of the game) or is there a articel on that? Regards

How about using plain and simple files for your settings? As for when to load them, what settings do you need to save, and when do you need them? I'd probably load them at the start, or after selecting a player profile, if that applies to your game. And if there's no settings file, then just use default settings.

However, I'd first determine what settings would be usefull to load externally. I can't tell 'what a game needs', because every game is different. Your game may benefit from being highly data-driven, or it may cost you more time than it's worth, all depending on your game.

This topic is 3784 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.