Sign in to follow this  

Octree voxel model surface

This topic is 3787 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, Recently I have been working on simple destructible voxel model engine. For memory conservation I use octree structure to keep my voxels. If node is completely solid I mark it as a leaf and if it is completely empty I delete it and mark it as NULL. This technique makes geometric data quite compact, but unfortunately I have problem with rendering. Rendering all leafs as cubes is simple, but most of the cubes are invisible, what makes this method inefficient for high resolution octrees. I'm looking for a method to determine if leaf is visible before rendering it. I was also thinking about surface extraction, but I have no idea how to reconstruct surface from nonuniform voxel model (maybe some marching-cubes mutation?). Cheers! P.S. Excuse my imperfect English.

Here are a few ideas:
  • Traverse the tree and render only voxels having no neighbors (or having neighbors of the voxel's size or smaller) on the sides facing the camera. It's O(n2) so it's not a great solution, but it might be faster than rendering occluded voxels.
  • Rather than drawing a voxel as a cube, draw it as a depth sprite.
  • Draw the sub-octants for each octant front-to-back. That is pretty easy to do and you will take advantage of the video hardware's ability to cull occluded triangles.

Hi, I have done something similar to what you are doing. I would recommend the surface extraction approach using Marching Cubes or a similar algorithm. If you render every voxel as a cube you'll get a lot of polygons and it's hard to get a smooth look.

This topic is 3787 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.