Electives

Started by
4 comments, last by neob 16 years, 8 months ago
I've been allotted one or two (depending on things) electives during my Computer Science course. I enjoy reading about artificial intelligence (though I have never programmed AI) as well as tools programming. (I've tried my hand at basic, map editors). My first question is, should I take a course which falls under human domain (psychology, philosophy) for AI, something which incorporates tools and user interfaces, or something that I enjoy? I have heard from varying sources which range from take courses which will help you specialize, to broaden your capabilities, to take a course that is interesting/fun as you will be up to your neck in computer related skills in your first year. My second question, being that I am going to college, is will my program look different to employers? I go for 2 years to college, and then I transfer (based on GPA, I believe it is an assured transfer) to my provincial (or state) university. Will employers look at my resume and compare it to someone who went to university for four years and I will be overlooked? Or will I be able to put U of Alberta, Comp Sci? Or am I forced to put College/Uni Comp Sci Transfer Grad... Your help is much appreciated. :D
Advertisement
I recommend microeconomics. It it like the economic equivilent to basic arithmetic. You wouldn't want to graduate not knowing basic arthimetic would you? Likewise you wouldn't want to graduate not knowing microeconomics.
Thank you. On a bit of a related note, I've also been advised to take such business courses and things that may lead to management or leadership positions.
AI (and specifically game AI) is not related to philosophy or psychology, so don't take them because you think they might apply to AI. However, psychology would probably be appropriate if you are interested in user interfaces.

My recommedation would be for your first year to take basic courses in areas that you might be interested in. Because your interests are likely to change significantly over the next few years, you don't want to lock yourself into a specific program right away.

Generally, people will look more at where you get your degree than where you transferred from.
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
Your 4 year degree will come from the school you graduate from. It really doesn't matter if you were a transfer student or not. It's not like your diploma will say "transfer student" on it. I was a transfer student from a community college myself, though I got screwed on the credits that transfered (or lack there of, really).

I would also say take classes that you'll enjoy. Most Comp Sci programs are fairly intensive, so you need those fun classes thrown in to keep you motivated. Also, note that the vast majority of people don't finish with the major that they start college with. Most people switch majors multiple times, actually. I switched once myself, and I still wound up with a fantastic job.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
It doesn’t matter if you went to college and transferred to a university. In my university’s computer science degree, psychology and philosophy are required. I still don’t see the connection or the reason why.
If you can get microeconomics, do it. That class tends to be easy and very educational.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement