Sign in to follow this  
Alex_grist

Starting Off

I've learn javascript and Java but I would like to learn either C# or C++. I have the question of; Where do I start? I don't really have the ability to buy books, so is there anywhere I can start?

Quote:
Original post by Alex_grist
I've learn javascript and Java but I would like to learn either C# or C++.

I have the question of; Where do I start?

I don't really have the ability to buy books, so is there anywhere I can start?

If you'd consider paying for a book an issue then go to the public library. Since C++ hasn't changed significantly over the past x many years, this is good option ... but C# is fairly new, so your library may not have new enough editions.

Since you've clearly forgotten, the library is like the internet but in RL :P

[edit]

This link was posted on the forums recently, It has a number of pretty good books available online:

http://www.ubookcase.com/list/

[Edited by - fpsgamer on August 1, 2007 10:54:24 PM]

I would recomend C#. That's what I'm currently trying to learn, and it seems fairly straight forward. If you want to be brave and just jump in the deep end, go with C++. Be prepared for confusion though, it can be a complicated language. Your experience in Java and javascript will no doubt come in handy while you learn your chosen language.

~TDOT>

Quote:
Original post by Alex_grist
I've learn javascript and Java but I would like to learn either C# or C++.

I have the question of; Where do I start?

I don't really have the ability to buy books, so is there anywhere I can start?

I'm a noob but yeah im starting to learn C# and im looking through this link
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/z1zx9t92(VS.80).aspx

I'd say, decide for yourself: get compilers for both and start reading the beginning of the workshop (for C#) and this. After that, stick with the one you feel most comfortable with.

Quote:
Original post by Hammonjj
I'd go with C++ if you want to do anything cross platform.

uh... if you want to do anything in C++ above a console ( even there sometimes ) there is a extremely high chance of it not being cross platform. ALSO if your libraries are cross platform, you gotta make sure you code is cross compiler AND you gotta compile you code on the other platforms. Compiling on different compilers, architectures, and platforms can bring up hidden bugs in libraries and your code (ugly hacks that endian and size differences of ints etc ). And finally many ( if not most ) libraries are not cross-platform, it is a sad and brutal truth.

If you really want cross-platform ( with out having to build a ton of times ) head over to Java or a scripting language. C# is arguable cause Mono is getting there, but in the end MS has a lot of control of that.

Finally for the OP, unfortunately C++ is used very widely, so I recommend learning it eventually. But as it is often said, good programmers learn as many languages as possible because many languages have their own spot. So learning both won't be a disadvantage. As for where I would catch up with the C# workshop and I think they still have the C++ workshop on the bottom of the forum list.

I just wanted to note that I seem to be anti-C++, but that is not true. I learned with C++ and used it for a long while. But I had to tell the flipside for those poor people that learn it because WoW or other various big MMOs or RTSs or FPSs are made in them and no other reason.