Sign in to follow this  
TheKrust

The weirdest game idea ever (or so I'm told)

Ok, let me first start by saying that this design has been sitting in my notebook for like, 4 years. It started as a joke with my cousin, I attempted to make it once, but didn't have the technology, and then it hasn't seen the light of day since. Most people have told me it's funny as hell and they would love to see it, some people say it's the stupidist idea they've ever heard.... basicly, I never ended up making it because people are really fussy one way or the other. So, with no further adue, here's the "abridged" description that I tore out... -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Name: Lemonam Genre: War Statagy, turn based, global domination Player view: city maps, world maps, "lemmings" type view for battle scenes (sidescrolling) style : cartoonish, animated, rediculous humor Countries have gone to war over beleif, wealth, land, and glory. But now, something new has emerged that that is taking the world by storm and entire countries will fall on it's behalf... lemonade. Starting a game as a group of kids who want to start a lemonade stand, you encounter several competing stand that turn into rivalries. Ad campaigns and marketing expansion soon grow too rapid and powerful to be peaceful when some of the stands start playing dirty. Armed with mere toys, the groups rage at eachother. They force eachother out of different areas untill they begin figuring out new methods... and get more advanced. The conflict escalates outside the city limits where new people are recruted and connections to serious power are made. Grow more powerful as you make more money form internationally positioned lemonade stands and eventually run an underground franchise that rakes in billions without taxes. Establish allies with countries and buy weopons from Russia, the middle east, and other corupt parts of the world. Move from spit balls to M4's and water cannons to rocket launchers. Make and break alliances with other stands around the globe and form teams to dominate continents. It's up to you how to take over... flourish the work force, or crush the world economy. Take cities by diplomatic domination, or brutal armed force. Start a nuclear arms race against your enemies and see who is the first to srtike. The world just may suffer a nuclear winter.... Civilization lies on the dividing line and could face it's end... all from a lemonade stand. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Comments..... or you can just say you're speechless if that works...

It sounds good. A game idea doesn't have to be serious, it should be original, which that is.

But, the idea doesn't mean anything without fun gameplay. So if you can figure out the gameplay to be fun, you're there.

Quote:
The world just may suffer a nuclear winter....

At least I'd agree this is -by far- the weirdest cause/effect chain I've seen from the premise of kids starting a lemonade stand. The basic idea of all this happening over innocent lemonade brings a brief smile to my face, but I don't think it's that innovative. Substitute tiberium or whatever sustance you like for lemonade and you're back to your average wargame setting. Having unique weaponry like spit balls and water cannons might give it twist, but if you move on to rocket launchers, M4's and nuclear weapons (used by kids, mind you), I think it rapidly looses its appeal.

It's a fun thought but I don't think it'll make for a fun or unique game. To be a bit more precise, I feel you haven't really described a game, but more of a fantasy what might happen if you had a lemon stand.

Hope that's not too honest an opinion [smile]

I have to agree with Remigius and Endar. You need to work out the details before anyone could say if it could be a good game or not. Also, when I started reading your game description, I was intrigued by your idea until the story drifted away from the whole lemonade thing and it turned into another WWII game (not exactly, but you know what I mean). But again, it's hard to say without more gameplay info. If I'm shooting my rocket-launcher from the cover of my lemonade stand to the competitor's stand down the block, then that's cool. If at some point during the game, you leave the whole stand thing for a bigger more typical battlefield, then I too think the game "loses its appeal" [Remigius]. Good luck.

Well no, the game was designed to AVOID being a typical war game. Ummm, lemme think here. If I were to describe the gameplay, it would be like a mix of advanced wars and a turn-based version of Defcon. What I had invisioned was a world map (a cartoonish looking one) where groups of 3 to 8 buildings represented a city, it's size, population, military powers you held there, and how much economic influence you had.

If you zoomed into the city, it would become another map. Each city could have it's own control panel with more detailed statistics like how many stands you had in place, what kind of profits you were bringing in, new arms development, weather forcasts (ect.).

A battle took place by an army getting too close to a hostile city and then giving an option if they wanted to invade or not. If there was a fight in the city, that's when it becomes like Advanced wars. A turn based map of the city is shown and the play is turned to very strategic war. The style is much more activley animated than advanced wars however, but still in the same art spirit. The battles revolve around setting up defences and offensive postitions and sometimes you have to fight silently behind the publics back, the more paniced the city becomes, the harder it is to sell your product :D .

Quote:
If I were to describe the gameplay, it would be like a mix of advanced wars and a turn-based version of Defcon.

It will, no doubt, fail, unless you sell the idea to some Japanese developer. :)
Remember "Pirate Wars" game that was inspired by AW ? No ? It never came out.

I really like the idea. The only thing that turns me off is that the kids graduate to real weaponry. I feel that it loses it's flavor at that point. Rather than bringing in serious warfare, why not let things escalate in a child-like way. It'd be much more humorous to see a large object moving through space picked up by satellite (ex: Wargames) and have it hit one of your cities only to find out that the entire city has been globbed by a giant spitball. Nobody dies, they just get icky. Not only that, you don't lose your younger audience.

There was an episode of Invader Zim titled "The Wettening" (IIRC) that did something like this. Dib, Zim's arch-nemesis, starts a water balloon fight with Zim. Things escalate as both parties creatively enhance their water balloon technology. It ends with Zim using his alien technology to suck up all the world's water into space where it accumulates into an enormous water ballon and targets it at Dib. Silly, but entertaining (and no one gets hurt).

well see that's why I never ended up making it. The combat is NEVER up-close and personal, and it's kind of designed so they're just little cute characters, nothing related to kids.

But anyway, most people just laugh at it (the game isn't supposed to be taken seriously), but then some "sensitive" fanatics are like , "Omg! You sick bastard!" .I'm like jesus chill out, it's a joke!

Anyway, that's why I never ended up making it because there was that small group that wanted to burn me at the stake. Small group mind you. Then again, look at South Park.

EDIT: just to be clear on this, I was fully aware of the fact that people wouldn't be accepting of the whole "real warfare" thing, so I decided to keep it as detached as possible. In other words, no blood, the characters are VERY VERY animated looking from a side scrolling view, and they just look like little stubby-chibbi characters.

I really like the idea and think it has definite promise. Like other people though, I would be concerned about them graduating to real weaponry and the game losing its charm. Really though, the entire concept has me interested.

Definitely the weirdest idea for a game I've ever heard. Then again I'm sure a lot of games concepts were thought of as being real weird at their inception.

I just have to wonder exactly what point the escalation serves. Other than being humorous to one considering the idea, I'm not sure what the intent is. I don't know if you are trying to make a point about how petty squabbles can start huge things or what. And just because the root is in lemonade stands, once you have real weapons and nukes etc the game does lose the only unique part of it, well except for the fact you retain the lemonade stand. But yeah as the others have said, it really just seems like a mask for a more traditional gameplay model. Take away the unique elements of it, the kids, lemonade stands and funny weapons, and it sounds like a standard advancement wargame. Which of course, there is nothing wrong with. But if the kid element is supposed to make it unique, you might want to reconsider things a bit to make its gameplay unique as well.

THat game sounds awesome! But here's what I'd do about some of the problems other people said:

Ok, first, instead of making it a game about the whole world, make it about 1 big city. It'd be easier then for people to believe that kids selling lemonade on there street will turn into war all over the city. and as you go from street->neighborhood->whatever->whatever->city-wide conflict, the game changes and what you do in the game changes.

As far as the kids killing each other, I'd make it so they just lay down and blink a few times and die. And instead of using pistols and uzis and stuff, use like really cartoony weapons like electro blasters and stuff you'd find in Megaman. Then as you get bigger and go from like a few kids on the street to a lot of kids with moped calvary and then to giant robots and blimps.

Also, I'd make everyone in the city a kid, so there are like no parents, and the cops are kids, and the politicians are kids, and the people on TV are kids, and the mad scientists building giant robots are kids.

and basically you start out with your lemonade stand and you're just running that. and it's like a business simulation. then you get big enough that someone else's stand is hurting your business so you can either try to beat them with business or you can send over some kids who work for you or you hired to do the job. And then you get bigger, and you have a ton of money, more than you know what to do with. Maybe you don't just sell lemonade, you sell limeade or pink lemonade or arnold palmers. and different customers want different things. So now its mostly a business game with some strategy combat in the neiborhood.

But then maybe some kids complain that lemonade rots theyre teeth or make you fat so the neiborhood politicians want to stop kids from having lemonade stands. So now you've got to sell it secretly for a lot more money (but now police kids are after you) or maybe you can make some deals with the politician kids. LIke you have conversations with them like in Civ4 and you can like donate to their campaign or you can just give them money or maybe even threaten them. Cuz you're selling all this lemonade and you've got more money than you know what to do with, right? maybe you can make deals so just a few kids get caught but they leave you alone and let you sell some and pay them.

And then there could be like TV stations and newspapers in the city and you can start talking to them or giving them money to say things about lemonade. Like maybe you want kids in one of your opponents neighborhoods to not want lemonade around anymore, so you talk to the people who write the newspaper for that neighborhood and have them write things like "Why isn't Councilkid Joey doing more about Lemonade?" or for the people around you you make them say "Lemonade: It aint so bad." Maybe they have their own opinions about lemonade so maybe they'll help you for free or less money.

And these newspapers and TV stations will show sort of what goes on around the city, but it might be hard to find out what kids are influencing them. Maybe some kids actually own them, or a friend of a kid with a lemonade stand owns one. And there could be political argues on them like-

Harry: More Giant Robots!
Jennifer: Ice Cream for everyone!

And then when you really have a lot of money, maybe there is a Lemon factory somewhere in the city and you want to either take it over with giant robots or buy it or find some way to make the kids who own it have to sell it. Or maybey you can build your own Lemon factory. But you don't want to put up Lemon factories everywhere, because then people can't live anywhere. You've also gotta have apartments and other places like malls and schools and concert buildings, and you can even put lemonade stands in those.

So eventually the game would be about business and politics and city building and fighting. Now that's a cool game. You should totally make it. I would but I can't do anything.

Quote:
Original post by generationZ
Ok, first, instead of making it a game about the whole world, make it about 1 big city. It'd be easier then for people to believe that kids selling lemonade on there street will turn into war all over the city. and as you go from street->neighborhood->whatever->whatever->city-wide conflict, the game changes and what you do in the game changes.

That's the point. The game was designed to revolve around a completley ludacris concept. As a result, the more ludacris the idea becomes, the more unrealistic and light hearted the game gets while still holding organized sturcture.

Quote:
And instead of using pistols and uzis and stuff, use like really cartoony weapons like electro blasters and stuff you'd find in Megaman. Then as you get bigger and go from like a few kids on the street to a lot of kids with moped calvary and then to giant robots and blimps.

The first game design called for invented weapons such as something called the "Slug Hammer" which was basicly a shotgun with a belt fed clip. Other insanely over the top weapons were invented untill the combat engine was revised. The thing that I, and a few people that saw the actual design agreed, that the combat itself was so absurdley unrealistic that there was no need to even resort to these things. Like for instance, when they "die" they litteraly fly off the screen rotating really fast... almost like shooting a tin can. It actually looks really funny the first time you see it.

Quote:
But then maybe some kids complain that lemonade rots theyre teeth or make you fat so the neiborhood politicians want to stop kids from having lemonade stands. So now you've got to sell it secretly for a lot more money (but now police kids are after you) or maybe you can make some deals with the politician kids. LIke you have conversations with them like in Civ4 and you can like donate to their campaign or you can just give them money or maybe even threaten them. Cuz you're selling all this lemonade and you've got more money than you know what to do with, right? maybe you can make deals so just a few kids get caught but they leave you alone and let you sell some and pay them.

Belive it or not, I actually considered doing this a while back. But then it quickly occured to me that that was something only kids by into. So what I would end up with was a violent kids game that wouldn't sell a copy. The only thing worse than genre mixing is rating mixing.

Before I quote anymore, the rest of the article suggest that the general public get involved. There are theoretically "grown ups" in the game but you never see them along with the general populous. The only time you see anything but your own troops is population stats for cities. The entire point of the war is that the market is underground. That's how they're getting away with it.

The point of never seeing any adults in the game is that kids are not really kids without grownups compared. If you never say they're kids (which i don't) they really just become cute little characters.

EDIT: on a little side note I should mention that you suggested putting lemonade stands in schools. Stands are strategic millitary targets... do the math.