• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Kenny_gone_mad

api for 2d?

This topic is 4036 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
If you want an all-in-one package I would recommend SDL or Allegro. Personally I use OpenGL for graphics, GLFW for input and FMod for sound :)

Quote:
Original post by Mekanikles
http://nehe.gamedev.net/ is allways a good start if you decide for OpenGL

No it's not. See this thread for why not.

Probably SDL or Allegro would be your best bet for a simple, inclusive 2D API. Though you could always use DirectX (DirectGraphics, DirectSound, etc) or OpenGL (with FMOD or OpenAL for sound).

However, using a 3D API for 2D graphics is the generally preferred method these days if performance and features are a concern.

Have to disagree with you there ravyne2001, now I agree it's not in mint condition but for one who has never seen OpenGL before I think it's very leniant. Sure did help me understand how GL works in general, but that a few years ago though... :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!