Ia the HYDRA platform good for beginners

Started by
3 comments, last by daviangel 16 years, 8 months ago
Hi all I was just wondering if the HYDRA was a good platform for beginners to game programming, because altho it dosn't use C# or C++, surely the basic priniples for game programming will be the same. Thanx http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=32360
Advertisement
That depends. It looks like one of those "game console kits." It's $200. Even if you are foaming-at-the-mouth desperate to work on a console, it doesn't seem like a good deal to me.

Consoles are effectively just PCs with some different hardware and slightly different hardware performance characteristics. They also usually have less well-developed development tools, which can ultimately prove frustrating to a beginner.

While I don't necessarily see anything wrong with this Hydra kit, I don't see it having any huge advantage over simply learning to program on the PC or (again, if you are really desperate) using the various homebrew facilities available to you to develop on existing "real" consoles.
You will find that the language used to program on the HYDRA (Spin and Prop Assembly) is rather unwieldy, and you will be frustrated many times over by the lack of support to do what you want. You will be worrying about how much memory your program takes up, how fast the execution of every instruction is, and the odd way that the Propeller chip (the CPU of the HYDRA) is designed and run.

Learn PC programming first. You will be much happier that you did.
Mike Popoloski | Journal | SlimDX
Alternatively, buy a used XBox 360 for $200 (or just spend some extra cash for a new one) and start programming it using C#/XNA.
http://neolithic.exofire.net
Quote:Original post by violentcrayon
Alternatively, buy a used XBox 360 for $200 (or just spend some extra cash for a new one) and start programming it using C#/XNA.

Yeah that would be the easiest route compared to using the linux ps2 kit or hydra to make your own console games.
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement