Confidence in programming...

Started by
24 comments, last by Vorpy 16 years, 8 months ago
Just for you people with wrist pains: Saving is Ctrl+S.

Ctrl+Shift+S is normally "save as" and Alt-F-S is probably a bit hard on your hands ;-)

Of course, you could always use emacs: Ctrl+X-Ctrl+S or vim (god knows what, probably escape :w or something - I'm just guessing here!) if you intend to punish your yourself :P

But yeah, I'm saving every time I breathe too. I almost exclusively recompile when I want to run the program. A decent IDE such as NetBeans does all checking in real time anyways.
Advertisement
I also compile much too often. Not only that, I will make a back up of my project, it will be called "Junk" and then the project name. I will edit the "Junk" file, until I have made a fully functional upgrade to the program, and save the "Junk" file as the normal file itself, and then continue editing the "Junk" file with my next idea. Also, if the idea I am currently working on is huge and there are many things I need to implement before it is ready, I will save "checkpoint" files, as I go through the idea. Every time I complete a vital section of the idea, I will save it as "CP", which means checkpoint, and then a number corresponding to the checkpoint number it is, and then the file name. When the complete idea is coded, I'll re-save the "Junk" file to the normal file, and delete all the "CP" files. I do this so I don't have to go back to the very beginning of the idea if I mess up horribly in the middle of the idea. I am a very unconfident programmer, and fear dysfunctional code. My worst fear is having to rewrite an entire program.
Quote:Original post by Guhill
I also compile much too often. Not only that, I will make a back up of my project, it will be called "Junk" and then the project name. I will edit the "Junk" file, until I have made a fully functional upgrade to the program, and save the "Junk" file as the normal file itself, and then continue editing the "Junk" file with my next idea. Also, if the idea I am currently working on is huge and there are many things I need to implement before it is ready, I will save "checkpoint" files, as I go through the idea. Every time I complete a vital section of the idea, I will save it as "CP", which means checkpoint, and then a number corresponding to the checkpoint number it is, and then the file name. When the complete idea is coded, I'll re-save the "Junk" file to the normal file, and delete all the "CP" files. I do this so I don't have to go back to the very beginning of the idea if I mess up horribly in the middle of the idea. I am a very unconfident programmer, and fear dysfunctional code. My worst fear is having to rewrite an entire program.

VERSION CONTROL !!!!
Quote:Original post by Antheus
Quote:Original post by Guhill

VERSION CONTROL !!!!

QFE!
Wow, Some of you are truly nuts! Either that, or you need better tools.

I save once --- when Visual Studio asks me to on exit. My computer has crashed and lost power unexpectedly before but I have never had a problem of losing data. How? It's called using the auto-save feature.

As for compiling, Visual C# performs automatic compiling for its intellisense, so I only compile when I need to run my program and otherwise depend on the editor to let me know when something is not correct.
....[size="1"]Brent Gunning
I use Visual C#, which has autocomplete for names and types, and automatically highlights syntax errors when you type them, so I have little need to compile regularly.

Edit: Wow, dejavu.
Mike Popoloski | Journal | SlimDX
I write enough at a time that, if I compoile it and don't get errors, I'm always worried and think 'did I really compile that?!'
Wow, call me a bit different here, but im of a completely different mind on the matter. I will code 1 class or CRITICAL function before each compile (unless its really painstakingly simple code like a windows process or button handler, etc). I also code them so that they can each be performed as a unit test and profiled, this way I have the confidence that a particular critical function or class works just as expected. And while this does take a bit of time, it would take alot more time in my mind to find the obscure bug caused by forgetting something important before moving on, only to have it show up months later.
I have a static analysis tool and units tests that run automatically after a successful compilation, so I've learnt not to compile frequently.

I hit ctrl-s to save all the time though.
I'm writing my code in the TDD way. I have to build & run often. My tests run automatically as a post-build step, so that failures in my unit tests show up just as if they were compiler errors.

As for saving... Well, I canceled the save-as dialog four times while writing this message - I'm a CONTROL+S addict... ;)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement