Sign in to follow this  
Mizipzor

When publicing stuff on the net

Mizipzor    247
Im sitting here makeing a website that will act as my portfolio. One thing that struck me was, when putting everything Ive done on the web, should I add some kind of disclaimer? "Please dont steal this". Are there any legal things that I should look into before doing this?

Work you've done is automatically copyrighted. Just put your name and a date inside (it doesn't matter much if it's not visible). You don't have to say "don't steal this". You just have to say "copyright Me Myself, 2007".

lostincpp    122
I've gone through the copyrighting process a couple of times and can confirm that what Emmanuel says is accurate. If you want to copyright something that YOU wrote, you need only include the copyright notice in the published document.

But, if this is a lengthy document or is something you expect to make a few dollars from, or something that someone else might make a few dollars from if they turn around and register your work as theirs, you should go ahead and register with the US Copyright Office to insure that you are protected.

http://www.copyright.gov/