my game ideas (some ideas, i had.)

Started by
8 comments, last by pychnight 16 years, 8 months ago
hi every one, one of my eve online friends directed me to this site, so i desided to check it out and post my idea.. anyway here is my game idea. Text based game Name: Eternal Sun Multiplayer: yes About: this txt based game is about Earth and it's solar system, every player starts out on earth and they fight over land and evolve in there own way. if you get to a certain point of the evolutionary path you will be able to terraform other planets or invade other words. but as every great civilation your civilation will come to a end soon or later. Gameplay: every new players starts at cave men tech level, and there own small peace of land. later techs could enslave newer players or destroy them easly. the newer players will be hidden and will be hard to find. the larger players with massive citys would be the easyest to find. the goal of the game is to make sure your civilation lives but it has other goals as conquer the planet or the solar system. Resources: there will be 7 types of resources for the planet and 4 types of resources for the player. Planetary resources Trees 00% Water 00% oil 00% Oxygen #% Iron 00% Plutonium 00% Water Quality= Good Air Quality= Good Pollution= 00% the higher number in Pollution, the worse air quality/water quality. Player Resources. Timber 00% Water 00% Oil 00% Gold 00% Research Tree the player will start out as cavemen and will be able to upgrade 7 types of tech. Once the player takes one route the other routes close off forever. Here is what the research tree will look like... for undecovered tech... http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q150/war450/Art/My%20Graphics/Panel_empty.png Discovered tech http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q150/war450/Art/My%20Graphics/Te008.png Closed off Route http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q150/war450/Art/My%20Graphics/Panel_closed.png alright, i hope you like the idea it's rather complex for a txt game but i'm sure it will be fun. also i'm looking for artests to help me make the graphics (the ones i can't do...) and a coder to make this game.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by pychnight

the newer players will be hidden and will be hard to find.

How are you going to implement this in text form?

What is there to gain from finding the newer players other than just eliminating them?
I think I read something about enslaving players. This is actually a very cool concept...but only for the person doing the enslaving. The slave players would probably be very sad pandas. Therefore, it's probably not the best idea. :(
http://neolithic.exofire.net
The only time I think it would actually be cool to be enslaved is if you ended up having to fight as a gladiator a la the film.
Haha. Yeah. That would be kinda nifty. I'm sure there would be a way to design an enslavement system that allowed players to be enslaved and make it fun both ways...but I don't know. It would be pretty difficult. If someone could do it, though, I'd totally play the game. Even if the graphics sucked (or if it was text) and even if the rest of the gameplay was sucky and unbalanced...I'd play just for that (assuming it were fun for both parties).

And besides the gladitorial stuff, it would still be kinda sucky the rest of the time. =( Still, I'd love to see it implemented as a game mechanic.
http://neolithic.exofire.net
"How are you going to implement this in text form?

What is there to gain from finding the newer players other than just eliminating them?"

well, the newer players will randomly be generated at least 40 km away from any major city.

and i was thinking of implementing radius view for grouped units. so, anything with in that view is see able.

of corse buildings are always see able as they stick out more then tanks and aircraft.

and if the player gets enslaved the player is provided with theys options

Recruit for rebellion, Black market [buy guns, body armor]
Rebel

===Recruit for rebellion===

the player will etter be able to recruit other enslaved played that where enslaved by the other players or they could hire normal people (by playing a small minigame)

===Black market===

This is where you buy guns for your rebel army you can buy any low tech weapon available to the player that enslaved you.

===Being a slave===

you can request for a higher position then a slave from your master, if your master is nice he might give you a small military devision or a better place to live.

also the enslaved player are able to get exlusive technology while his civilation is an a slave, the technology is designed to help the player rebel.

===Death of a civilation===

your civilation can be executed.

if every one of your civilation is dead, you have the option to create a new one. of corse this will reset the technology you have earned.

Ways that a civilation can end.

"asteroid" hiting the earth or what ever planet your on.

"Ice Age" every planet has an ice age this will decrese your population at a faster rate depending how cold the planet gets.

"Nuclear apocalypse" if the player uses ### Ammout of nukes the poluation will get to a certain point where the water will be undrinkable and unuseable unless perifyed, and the population levels will drop at a rapid rate.

"Virtual plague" just as it sounds your civilation might that the wrong path in science and run into a deadly plague, your numbers will drop at the same rate as Nuclear apocalypse depending on the plague type.

"mass genocide (enslavement death)" so, you tryed to rebel or your master got tired of you and desided to execuate all of your population. or an advanced civilation desided to wipe you out.
with being a slave, do you honestly think players are going to keep on going. If you want slavery to be "fun" the slaves need freedom. But then the enslavers are getting seriously gyped. You really can't balance both sides... unfortunatley. It is a cool concpet though, I just think it could only work with AI opponents.

Hey, that's not a bad idea, why not (when you enslave a nation) have there be AI slaves that the captors take and the real people of the empire could be "the ones that got away" so to speak. Or they could be killed and start a new life.

With a little thought, you really do have a good concept.
---------------------------------------- There's a steering wheel in my pants and it's drivin me nuts
By the way though, and sorry to tell you this, but people really don't play text games anymore :(

it would help though it you had some heavy visual aid. You were probably already thinking maps, but just in case.
---------------------------------------- There's a steering wheel in my pants and it's drivin me nuts
Take a look at a browser-based game like Travian (which is a text-based game, TheKrust). Some players are big warlords, others get farmed for their resources. It's usually not much fun to get farmed, so after a while such players either quit, or start somewhere else.

I didn't find the game much fun after a while, it's mostly grinding and being on-line for as long as you can, but the game seems to be quite popular. It's usually only the farmers that find it fun, though - the farmed ones quickly loose interest, from what I've seen.

Anyway, pychnight, your initial post is pretty hard to read. Try reformatting it - paragraphs are easier to read than loose lines, and a few headlines here and there wouldn't hurt either. Also, you can use html in your posts for links and images. As for recruiting people, that's what the Help Wanted board is for - this board is for game-design topics.

About your game idea... How will players get resources? How do you build cities? What effect does bad water quality have on the gameplay? And why do you think it'd be fun to play (bigger players wiping you out just for fun doesn't exactly sound very fun to me)? I'd say, work out your idea a bit more before asking others to help you, as it seems more like a rough and unbalanced idea right now than a fleshed out concept. Good luck. :)
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.
Well, Captain P i have basicly thought of all of the gameplay aspacts even the one about enslavement and city building or even expansion into space, the game will be extremely heavy on graphics one for the global map, one for the solar system and one for inside confinement camps for the slaves, it won't be easy to break away from the person also like i sayed the enslavement players get the black market that allows them to buy weapons and requit men for rebelion, and the loose style of typing is something i have made a habit of doing every now and then.

as for city building every structure will have it's own values, the values city building produces are pollution, that in turn effects the water quality of the entire planet over time of course there is away to make water drink able for your people by building water purification plants that help improve the quality of water your geting, as i have sayed there are 7 types of resources and 4 collectable resources for the player, timber (trees), water (quality) ammout), if you pollute the planet, it will increse the death rate of your civilation and reduce the ammout of resources for future players and make it hard to live on, but not impossible.

also, i would of choosen anther format beside text based but the ui alone would drive any one away, not to mention coding the planetary engine.

and as for how players get resources, early game you build workers and assaign them to chop down trees in the forests this will gather more resources, but you won't magicly get timber you will need to build a refinery to produce it from the collected trees, the tree resource is an subtype resource for the player, it's useable for building but for a higher cost, timber is a more refined wood and will last longer then unrefined, thats the same for water you can collect it by having workers gather it at a nearby lake or river if the water is undrink able it would kill them insted of actualy helping. thats why you would need to build water purification plants.

and as for the later tech players, they would need to search for the lower tech players and that can take weeks by then the low tech would be mid tech.
and the low tech are not completely defenceless, sure cavemen would be able to defend against knights and some early game tech and maybe some of the mid game tech.

and if a space race desides to go to war with cavemen or mid game tech, the mid or early tech players would get cost reduction for all of there units while at war with late tech.

depending how many planets the space tech guy has he might not be able to aford enough units to fully destroy mid tech players. especialy if they allie.

it really is up to the player how he or she desides what path there civilation takes if it's one of war, peace, science or economy.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement