• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Make Sprite always face the camera

This topic is 3851 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi! You solve one problem(now i have a plasmagun in my FPS that Fires from Gun Position into the middle of the screen) but at the same moment you always get a new one. this time it is the sprite that not is facing the cameraPosition at any given angle/rotation. Is there any easy way of making the face/flat side of a sprite always face the camera position? here is my view and WorldMatrix for my Sprite: //the View device.Transform.View = Matrix.LookAtLH(mPos, mView, mUp); //the Sprite World Matrix device.Transform.World = Matrix.Multiply(Matrix.Scaling(scale, scale, scale), Matrix.RotationYawPitchRoll(mPosX, pitch, roll) * Matrix.Translation(spritePos.X, spritePos.Y, spritePos.Z)); i have heard somethign about inverting the worldMatrix but i am not sure this is correct???

Advertisement
Billboard is the term used for the effect you are trying to achieve. Check out this page or search google for +directx +billboard.

If I am not mistaken point sprites are aligned with the view vector by default. So you can simply use them. Take a look at:

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/programming/features/pointspritevb/page2.asp

Quote:
Original post by Matt Aufderheide
or use D3DXSprite, its has an easy option to draw view aligned sprites ..

Doh! I completely forgot about that.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement