turn based strategy game

Started by
0 comments, last by hplus0603 16 years, 8 months ago
I am adding multiplayer network support for my turn based strategy game and was wondering what network libraries you recommend I use? I need it to work on Windows, Windows CE, and Mac OSX, so I think a low level library might be my best bet, such as HawkNL or PLib. I wanted to use a high level library such as Raknet, but it doesn't work in MSVC6, and probably not in EVC4 due to templates, but I could probably fix that without too much hassle. The game will have a low bandwidth, so I am planning on using TCP only, and will support up to 16 players simultaneously. I did quite a bit of network programming about 5 years go, so I'm not afraid of rolling my own from winsock, but I think a library would be a much better place to start, don't you think?
Advertisement
For TBS, you can probably get away with just coding up a regular TCP loop, using select() and send()/recv(). If you want a low-level simple encapsulation, try something like Etwork or Plib.

Btw: dump that MSVC 6. It's ten years old. Microsoft is giving away MSVC 2005 for free (in the form of the Express version). Use it -- it's tons better!
For the other targets, I assume you'll be using GCC version 4.x, which has pretty good template support as well.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement