Need help finding faces/artist...

Started by
5 comments, last by IntuitionGames 16 years, 8 months ago
So, in the game I'm making, Ara Fell, I've been having an awful, terrible, HORRIBLE time finding expressive face artists who will stick with the project. What I really need is either someone who'll take it seriously and work to completion, or to find some sort of online commissions thing that has already made artwork I can just license and use in the game. If anyone knows anyone who fits the former, awesome, send them my way! And if there is such a thing as the ladder, point me in that direction... But does anyone have any advice from this? I've been absolutely scouring DeviantArt for potential artists and I've had more than 20 interested individuals. EVERY ONE OF THEM expressed interest and bailed on me, and this was after offering them a fairly decent chunk of change for their work. Does anyone have any advice for dealing with this? Another place to look? A change in tactics? I'm at a total loss, here.
Advertisement
What's the drawing style and coloring style you need? For semi-realistic 3D there's facegen, but it's kinda expensive.

I do anime style but while I work very reliably I'm not a professional quality artist. huge page o sample faces EDIT: Oh lol I already replied to your previous artists wanted thread, well nvm then.

I'm surprised people are bailing if you're paying them a reasonable amount of money. $6 or more per face? Are you asking for lots of edits/re-dos? I've found that seems to drive artists away faster than anything else.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Firstly, I say with all due respect and in the nicest way possible, your samples there aren't quite what I'm looking for, no.

And no, I'm not asking for re-dos and I'm even allowing them to work in a style they find preferably. Each face is 96x96, only line-art (though I'll pay extra for coloring) and I'm offering $500 for all the ones I need, which is approximately 60.

I could have just gotten unlucky, and despite this, I'm still asking everyone on DA whose art I like if they're potentially interested or not.

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice for another place to look.
conceptart.org would be another place to try

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Try polycount too, I know some of the people there have done similar contract work in the past and a lot of the people there are ridiculously talented.
_______________________________________Pixelante Game Studios - Fowl Language
Forget DA.
You can look at Conceptart.org as sunandshadow already mentioned, or in the portfolio section of indiegamer.com. Post in the Small freelance job section (of CA.org) and you should have tons of answers. Look at the artist's portfolios and more importantly at their track records. Choose someone who has finished projects before, no matter how small. There are flakes everywhere, even in generally pro forums.

It helps if you have a visual exemple of what you are looking for, so the artist can look at the image and figure out how much time it will take. For exemple, I have done the math on your project and we're talking arount 8.33 USD per image, I'm still trying to image if that's good or not because I'm not sure of the level of detail you are searching for. It can be a very reasonnable price if fairly simple, because of the sheer amount of work.

Have the chosen artist sign a contract or provide you with a work order or something official. Your best bet would be to pay in small installments for each batch or art done. If you are still a bit worried, you can ask for reference of past clients. I for one would be willing to give names of past clients who were happy with my services. Beware artists who don't want to do that.

I hope this helps.
Thanks very much for the help, guys. Always good to get advice from anyone with experience. I'll see what I can do.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement