Sign in to follow this  
Fromethius

C++ Passing variables to the Window Procedure

Fromethius    100
Without creating global variables, is there a way to pass variables to the WindowProcedure that handles the messages? For example, if I create a variable and initialize it in WinMain, is there any way to use it in my WindowProcedure? What I am doing is this. I have a class called Map. I also have a class called Texture and Window. When I create Texture and Window, certain variables are created such as texWidth, texHeight, windowWidth, and WindowHeight inside of the class. In my Window Procedure, I need to use those variables held inside of Texture and Window for some function calls. Is there any way to do this easily? I would really like to keep it simple and try to avoid global variables if possible.

Same way you would support OO in your window code.

Personally, I do it this way:
1) When I'm setting up the WNDCLASSEX structure for my window, I do this:
windowClass.cbWndExtra = sizeof(Window*);

2) I register my window class (RegisterClassEx).
3) When creating the window using CreateWindowEx, I pass the pointer to the Window class as the last parameter.
4) In my static Window function, I process the WM_CREATE message like this (I save the pointer to window class in the space that window allocated for me):
CREATESTRUCT * cs = reinterpret_cast< CREATESTRUCT * >(lParam);
Window * window = reinterpret_cast< Window * >(cs->lpCreateParams);
assert(window != 0);
SetWindowLongPtr(handle, GWLP_USERDATA, reinterpret_cast< LONG_PTR >(window));

From now on, the window actually knows which object of (my own) Window class represents it.
5) Every time I need to process the message and get the Window pointer from window handle, I can do this:
Window * window = reinterpret_cast< Window * >(GetWindowLongPtr(handle, GWLP_USERDATA));

It may sound as a complex thing, but it isn't really. :)

Fromethius    100
Yea, I was looking into that, but I really would like something more simple. I'm talking to a guru right now on msn and I think he has a good solution. I'll get back to you all.