Best game education center, online?

Started by
6 comments, last by DeafManNoEars 16 years, 8 months ago
Hi all, I know this might have no relevance in the forum but I now have this very great ambition to get right on to game programming and now I'm just confused as to which game programming institute to choose from. I have visited a couple of sites regarding this and (game institute and DeVry) but since I'm also held up with other education, so, I would prefer if it is going to be online and fast like something I can finish with in a year or a year and a half. I really need help on this one and if you have anything in mind, I'm desperate to find out. And I'd be much happier if it is going to be soon. Thanks a lot and have a good day to you all.
Advertisement
What education are you in now?

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

Moved to For Beginners. Make sure to read the For Beginner's Forum FAQ.

Cheers!
Jeromy Walsh
Sr. Tools & Engine Programmer | Software Engineer
Microsoft Windows Phone Team
Chronicles of Elyria (An In-development MMORPG)
GameDevelopedia.com - Blog & Tutorials
GDNet Mentoring: XNA Workshop | C# Workshop | C++ Workshop
"The question is not how far, the question is do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?" - Il Duche, Boondock Saints
You don't need a "game development" education to get into the industry. It's by no means required, and often going to those schools doesn't have any advantage whatsoever over traditional computer science (or related) schools. Don't discount non-game-focused education, because game-focused education is not all those late-nate TV commercials would have you believe.

What course of study are you currently in?
Thanks you all for the replies you gave me.

Well, I know this might sound a little weird but I am a Chemical Engineer by profession and now I'm about to study Process Engineering. But I don't want this to be taken wrong but I'm really fond of game making, I have already programmed in Actionscript (Flash scripting language) and most of the time I was involved in there.

Surely, I'm going to be occupied with my other doings but I, kind of, need a motivation to do this. Besides, some of the colleges offer just more than game development, like for instance, Game institute claims to offer courses in, Introduction to robotics and Video Game Console Design. And, the hard document to prove that I am, indeed, a game programmer is what every employer wants to see, right?

The point is, I have this great ambition and respect for those who are game programmers, and I want to be part of that, regardless of my background, I just want to be a game programmer. That's all. Thanks to all, once more.
They're all crap. It doesn't matter what you choose. Do yourself a favor and learn it on your own, instead of jumping to open your wallet to some online ripoffs with what are essentially rebranded tutorials.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
With that said, is just picking up a 'C++ for dummies' book (for example) the way to go? Seriously, like many others I am very interested in good sources of information (or learning guides). I'm not in a rush to throw my money into school. I've been out of school for many years and don't feel the burning desire for the piece of paper. I'd be much more interested in a less expeinsive way to reach the same end: a career in a field that I find enjoyable.

Of course, moving to Cali, Texas or the Northeast would also help...but one thing at a time!
That's funny...

I'm a chemical engineer, too. I picked up a book on C++ a bunch of years back, but I had been programming in other, more functional languages prior to that. I also really enjoy the art and challenge of(as well as great feeling of triumph after) creating a working piece of software.

A great series of books that I bought once I had a good grasp of the "core" of the language, were "Effective C++" and "More Effective C++". Excellent resource once I figured out what the hell he was talking about.

All the while learning, try your hand with small games that will test your knowledge but do not try to exceed your abilities. Use the technology that you have a good grasp of at the time. Beit text based games, simple 2D GDI (or similar - if you already have some experience with this).

Once I felt comfortable with the new language, I starting doing a lot of research in the DirectX API. I'm not really sure why I went that way as opposed to OpenGL. (Everyone has the right to choose :). Anyway, there is a multitude of information in the SDK Documentation that comes along with the DirectX Library. It was my good friend. I always had it open when I was programming and learning the various graphics technique.

Keep making little games. Adding functionality each time. Refactor. Make more games.

You will want to read some of the white papers and articles on various graphics techniques and physics implementation and concepts. Your background in linear algebra, calculus and 3d mathematics in general will be your friend here ;). If you want you can get a good book on Game program - which I am sure someone will recommend.

There are many GREAT libraries that WILL be of value to you and game engines that you may find useful. Get acquainted with the SC++L, it's your friend.

Most important, make good friends with an excellent modeler and artist.

-My rant

Good Luck!!!!!!!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement