Sign in to follow this  
maybeonearth

Considering game engine design

maybeonearth    122
Hello everyone,new to the community! I'd like try working on creating a 3d game engine.A simple one.Mostly to become accustomed with such a thing and improve while doing so of course. My experience is pretty much inadequate for such a task and I'm into knowledge of it. I have some C and some Ruby experience and some basic assembly(because of electronic studies in the past). I can't say I've worked in many projects,but I can say that there were some attempts. :) Anyway,what I wanted to ask is general information on undertaking such a task. Just what it takes and maybe how things could work on an overview basis. On the meanwhile I take a look at articles on gdev and generally look around the web. Ah,by the way,"simple game engine" is just too vague to use as a desctiption of what I probably have in mind. An example would be and engine like that of Ragnarok Online I believe. Not specifically for MMO games,just used it for the sake of making an example. I probably know that a simple 3d game engine isn't simple at all for someone with the experience I carry but I would value some guidelines just to get me starting. Maybe I should look on getting a book also. Thanks in advance.:)

ToohrVyk    1595
A 3D game engine is a library which regroups the features commonly found in 3D games, and makes them easily available to the developer. Because of this, developing a 3D game engine requires experience in developing 3D games (in order to know what features are commonly required, and how they are best made available), or at very least developing a 3D game in parallel with the engine in order to (as we say it in the software development field) eat your own dog food.

So, I would suggest that you start churning out 3D game after 3D game (simple ones) and add to your 3D engine the common functionality. A simple "game pack" containing games such as pool, 3D pacman, rubik's cube or tetris would be an excellent application.

maybeonearth    122
I think your suggestion is more reasonable than what I was thinking. I'll start by working on such smaller projects. Hope to grow in the process and have a better understanding of it all; acquire some more experience and probably move into c++ too.
See you sometime soon again.:)