Sign in to follow this  

setdibits() alternative???

This topic is 3775 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, anyone know of a faster alternative to using win api's "setdibits()" func? [if you're not sure what it does, it takes a pointer to an rgbtriple or quad array (24/32bit) and copies the data into a bitmap handle since winAPI won't let you directly manipulate bitmaps (DIBs) in memory]. It's just so dam slow - please don't suggest directX! is there a way in assembly to access DIB directly, without the need to use "setdibits()"?????

yeah, i know of it but can't get it to work...i mean, what the fu** is a void** in delphi?! how do i access the bytes? in delphi, pointers are defined as either generic ("x:pointer")or typed ("x:^integer") but i see now way of saying pointer to a pointer unless i go:
p:^byte;
q:pointer;
q:=p;
and then pass q as void ** arg in createdibsection()
would this be correct?
but then how would i access bytes?
would p now pointer to those bytes, or do i need to go through q?

I'm really, really not knocking Delphi, but I have to say that I've always found SetDIBits to be blindingly fast when used from C++. Are you sure the slowdown isn't something to do with the Delphi runtime?

Quote:
Original post by at_lowe
yeah, i know of it but can't get it to work...i mean, what the fu** is a void** in delphi?! how do i access the bytes? in delphi, pointers are defined as either generic ("x:pointer")or typed ("x:^integer") but i see now way of saying pointer to a pointer unless i go:
would this be correct?
but then how would i access bytes?
would p now pointer to those bytes, or do i need to go through q?

It has been years since I even saw delphi code, but I guess you could try declaring a

x:^byte;

and then passing it as @x.

Quote:
Original post by at_lowe
i see now way of saying pointer to a pointer unless i go:
would this be correct?
No, with that definition of p you simply pass &p to CreateDibSection, and use p.
q is redundant.

great! thanx iMalc and wack, i wasn't sure if i could simply do that :)
makes sense, afterall a void ** is a pointer to a pointer and that's what @p is.
cool!

This topic is 3775 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.