Opinion about game engines

Started by
3 comments, last by Gage64 16 years, 8 months ago
Hi to all, I have a question that seems to have been debate in many occasions, but still, as every case is different, I did not find a discussion that fits my needs. I'm working for a small studio and we are using know Torque Game Engine (not the advance one). We are starting new project and think of a change of engine. TGEA is still in the list of possible replacement engine. Because Torque Engine still got a lot of messy code we are not sure it's a good idea to stick with it. I personally spent a month removing compiler warnings, optimizing code and fixing issue with new hardware and OS and GG was not of a great support. So, I need to evaluate other possibilities. The good thing is that the studio is not limited to low cost engine but we can't afford engine that has royalties such as Valve, CryEngine or Unreal. The engine must allow us to commercialize the product without the sources (GPL licence engines are out of question). We have several programmers (C++, cross platform) so it does not need to be a really high level engine. Here's the list of "must have" of our next engine : - DirectX 9.0 support (with the feature that come along) and older DirectX fallback - Good physic engine - Must have Networking capabilities - XBox 360 compatible (Next projects will be cross platform) - Good editing tools (Programmers want to focus on improving AI and engine, not building content) - Full access to source code Do you have any suggestion? Here's the list of possible engine / Libraries I'm currently evaluating, but you may have other suggestion, or comments on some of them : 3D GameStudio Beyond Virtual C4 Engine Ca3D Gamebryo Glacier Game Engine Jupiter EX KjAPI NeoEngine 2 Quest3D RelentENGINE S2Engine Shark 3D Torque Game Engine Advanced Vicious Engine Vision Game Engine 2 Visual3D.NET [Edited by - sormjs on August 3, 2007 10:45:12 AM]
Advertisement
You might find this place helpful. It not only contains a large and up to date list of engines, but it also has user reviews for many of the engines listed so you can see what other people think of them.
Thanks for the link, but it's from there I took my original list.

Also, according to this thread we can't rely on this site for impartial comments...

http://ask.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=236341&cid=19286521

"Do not trust Devmaster.net, it's sponsored by Garagegames and is heavily biased, in it's top 10 list of commercial game engines (http://www.devmaster.net/engines/) Torque is always listed first, even when the site's very own ratings system shows TGE as only have 3.5 stars when the likes of C4 has 4.5 and TV3D SDK 6 has 4!."

Anyway, it was a good source for getting first list of engine, I now needed more feedback from people that used these engines and can tell me if their be suited for my needs.

I'm always skeptical about site like Devmaster. I remember, having work for AAA studio that their were people hired to put good comments on these kind of site!

Thanks!

Js
To be honest, I would be more wary of trusting what I read in slashdot's discussion threads... generally speaking. In this case, it looks like the guy was mistaking the list of "Most Reviewed Commercial Engines" with a non-existent list of highest-rated. Torque is clearly the #1 most reviewed engine on the site, with 102 votes (averaging about 3.5).

If it is sponsored by Garage Games, then any fraudulent reviews, etc., would probably be intended to prop up Torque. This clearly didn't happen, since it is averaging only a 3.5 rating and the comments are pretty varied. And if they were trying to trick you, the first comment wouldn't begin with:
Quote:I am a co-founder of GarageGames and one of the several in house developers who upgrade and maintain the Torque Game Engine...
...and even that guy gave it a 4.5 rating (with a 4 ease-of-use).

In other words, be skeptical of the narcissistic cynicism at slashdot, and use your common sense when reading devmaster reviews.
Quote:
Do not trust Devmaster.net, it's sponsored by Garagegames and is heavily biased

I didn't know that, but you can often understand if a review is good or not just by the way it's phrased and written (for example, it can state specific things that are bad about an engine). If you do decide to go with a certain engine, it can still be useful to read the reviews there to see if it has some flaws or features you're not aware of.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement