Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz temps?

Started by
28 comments, last by ama3654 16 years, 8 months ago
When I pulled the heatsink off for the first time after seeing the temperatures in the BIOS, I cleaned it off with rubbing alcohol and a q-tip(is that bad?). Since the heatsink was only on for about 20 minutes the first time, when i took it off it looked just all smudgy and did not cover the entire area of the cpu. So I thought that it was not seated properly so that is when I applied the arctic silver. I rechecked the system voltages and it says they are correct.
Advertisement
PC wizard also tells the load under each core and I am getting a 5 degree deviation with both cores having the same load +- 2%
Ok I think I am going to change to a different heatsink. I keep getting the same temps and I want a cooler looking one anyways since there is a side window in my case. Only one question: When cleaning off the grease from the old application, should I clean it off the heatsink and the cpu or just the heatsink? And what are good items to use to clean it? I know high quality rubbing alcohol is good but what about lint free items?
Quote:Original post by 3fast3furious
Out of everyone I have asked or read about, I can't get a consistent answer on how to apply thermal compound. It seems evenly divided on: putting on a bb sized drop, putting a line down the middle, smearing it all around with a credit card or something. But I followed the arctic silver website and here I am. Also are you sure the max heat for those cpus are around 60c? I thought they were a lot higher since in my bios the fan was set to come on full power when it hit 70c. However the first thing I did was turn off smart fan and run it at 100% all the time.

Overclockers, and professionals are doing. Just before applying heatsink, apply thermal compound on the CPU. Smear it by something straight and sharp to cover CPU by a THIN surface.

Never put a line, it's bad idea.

E6600 is up to 60 degrees according to manufacturer. (This mean a long term exposure shouldn't exceed 60 degrees for long time to get expected live time.) Newer CPUs are up to 61 degrees, quad cores and extreme editions are up to 70 - 75 degrees.
Air incoming into the case shouldn't exceed 38 degrees. (and using sun exposure is also not recommended, just as there should be sufficient room and well ventilated behind the case.)
Quote:Original post by Raghar
Overclockers, and professionals are doing. Just before applying heatsink, apply thermal compound on the CPU. Smear it by something straight and sharp to cover CPU by a THIN surface.

Never put a line, it's bad idea.

Bullshit. So you're saying that you know more about a product than the company who makes it? How is the C2D assembled? I'm assuming it's 2 cores, one next to the other. Thus, a line would be COMMON SENSE. If it's one core, then it should be a small "dot", like a rice piece, in the center. The heatsink, when fastened properly, will spread the paste out perfectly.

@ OP: You have to clean it off both the CPU *and* the heatsink. Make it so clean that there isn't even a dust particle on it [wink]. As for what to clean it with, I got some little 99.99% alcohol "wipes", lint-free. They were designed for this kind of thing... I just don't remember what they were called... They came in packets, one packet -> one wipe; I think 10 came in one small bag.

Oh, and be careful with the alcohol. Open your windows and make sure you're well ventilated. Inhalation of practically pure alcohol is quiet dangerous (speaking from personal experience, I got a headache and felt dizzy after accidentally sniffing the thing).

You might also get some more (as well as more educated) responses in a specialized tech forum. Techspot, for example (I go there).
also are you checked your ram is on some speed as motherboards standard.
i noticed that a 400mhz ram on 333~ mhz board works but with one difference .on too high temperatures.
my pc hawe the some proplem but its not new .
i added extra fan to hd . now hd works similar to standard.
but cpu already at 70-40.
note also one of my hds is burned.because of high temps.
the high temps are killing your chips slowly.
if its not burn now will be later anyway depending on how long time worked on which temperature defines your hardwares lifetime.

also standard fans are ~%60or 3x~ slower then possible upper limit.
i think they making them for long life (like 10 years) not for bes quality.
they hawe cheap motors.
and there is nothing out of standards.
© Loading... !!!
Please Wait...!
Problem solved! I just got in my zalman 9700 led heatsink today in the mail from newegg.com and it has dropped my idle cpu temp from 39 to 22c. Also when removed that old intel heatsink the paste was all smudged in one corner and there were spots that didnt even have the thermal compound on it. Maybe I suck at installing the stock heatsinks but this zalman was a breeze to install. Thank you guys for your help.

-will
It's also possible that the heatsink wasn't exactly flat. A lot of overclockers actually uses very fine sandpaper to make sure that both the heatsink and the CPU is perfectly flat.
Cool, nice job in solving it [smile].
Hello Mate, just go to your BIOS and set enable PECI, that will sort out your problem. goodluck

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement