Sign in to follow this  
LittleFreak

DX9 to DX10

LittleFreak    144
I have been working on a Directx based Engine and right now in the process of using .x files for meshs. Im soon to start the process of a physics engine involving the .x meshs. What is making me hesitate is that Ive heard DX10 does not fully support the .x files like previous versions. The sole reason I have choosen to use the .x files are simply there ease of use within its own API. If it is not so easily integrated into DX10 I make plans to ether write my own similar structure or adopt an exsisting one. Any input will be greatly appriated.

51mon    342
There is a format called sdkmesh included in the SDK. I have been using it for a while and its pretty ok. I had to write a function which loaded the bumpmap. There is a tool that convert from x to sdkmesh. But take a look around you might find something better or create your own format.

brekehan    101
I'm very interested to know why they dropped .x file support if this is true. I thought it was great and have never heard a complaint from anyone.

ET3D    810
Quote:
Original post by brekehan
I'm very interested to know why they dropped .x file support if this is true. I thought it was great and have never heard a complaint from anyone.

You probably only tried it for non-animated meshes, I'd guess.

TheKrust    104
lol, I'd like to know why they dropped "Windows help system" in vista. I dn't know, microsoft seems to have a habbit of taking things away that people like. The .x files really are good, I hope they didn't trash them.

brekehan    101
I must admit, I did not use them for animations. I do own a book I am to read in the future, which flipping through it, had alot of custom code to extend the mesh class for doing animation, but I would think that was a problem with the mesh class and not the .x file. I will have to explore the new alternative before passing final judgement

Schrompf    1035
.x files do work well for us. No hassles with boned and animated meshes or mesh hierarchies being animated by multiple set of bones. The only (and quite severe) problems were the various exporters for all the modellers. The built-in exporters for any big modeller suck. For 3DS Max there's a nice exporter available from John Watte. I've forgotten the name but it is growing nicely and all the problems we had are ironed out now. For Maxon Cinema there's a custom Importer called XPort available from a german guy which does work well for us as well. I don't know how the support is on the other modelling packages.

At one time we were switching to Collada. Looks nice to start with but concerning bones and animations it is so heavily over-engineered that you need to put some serious time in it to get all the information out of a file and still verify it's in a form you can actually use.

Bye, Thomas