• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
zrxer

OpenGL Dynamically Updating a Texture

This topic is 3978 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am working on a project in which I need to be able to update texture data real-time. I have been using OpenGL, and doing the straightforward method of binding a texture and setting the data every frame. This really doesn't work, however, as the texture I am using is very large. I wanted to hear any thoughts you folks have about how to make this go more smoothly. I only have 1 textured object with a few thousand triangles, and 1 texture. I thought that perhaps somehow forcing OpenGL to keep the texture in system memory (where I could keep a pointer to the data) would work; I don't need hundreds of frames per second, just 30 or 60. At any rate, as of now I am using C# and the Tao.Opengl binding, but consider this choice orthogonal to the problem; I am willing to change libraries. Thanks.

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!