Is there a name for this?

Started by
3 comments, last by The Human Genocide 16 years, 8 months ago
I have been developing AI for a project of mine, which is a top down shooter. This is pretty much how it works: The AI has a line of sight. If you get in it's line of sight, it attempts to see what kind of gun you have. Whether it sees depends on how close are and how long you are in the line of sight. After it determines your weapon type, it views your weapon compared to its. Then, it will run away or go after you depending on that. Like, if you have a shotgun, and it has a sniper, it will try to get farther away. Also, I have it keeping track of your ammo. If it sees you shoot, it notes that you have one less ammo. This way it can keep track of when you are about to have to reload. If it sees you reload, it restores it's ammo variable. It doesn't have access to see exactly what your ammo is, but it assumes that when it first sees you you have full health and ammo. My question is, is there a name for this?
Advertisement
AI is generally classified by algorithm, not behavior.

I guess I'd call it Heuristic AI or maybe just StateMachine AI. I mean, you really just functionally describe a standard state machine driven AI. What you do with the state machine and heuristic is the behavior, but it's not a different type of AI.

-me
I implemented something like this using a state machine.

You're definitely using heuristics to drive the state change, so I guess you could make up a term like "heuristically-driven state machine" or something like that. I'd just call it a state machine.
Good 'old hacked-in AI :)
I'm not the most tech-smart person, and I can't really spell algorithm, so, I just kinda described it, lol. :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement