what LNG do i need ?

Started by
57 comments, last by Malazar 16 years, 8 months ago
ok so im working on a game that may take me one or two years to complete it. mybe even more im working on a MMORPG game. ill work on it really hard for it to look good, if you know games like OBLIVION or GOTHIC 3 so i makeing a game in this style. now, i wonder what coding Language do i need ? C# or C++ and i wonder wich of them is better ? becuse after ill finish this game ill make other games not only MMORPG games. and i need a good coding Language so i can use is for all my games. and not to learn new Language's again.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by iceDeath
ok so im working on a game that may take me one or two years to complite it.
mybe even more
im working on a MMORPG game.

Good luck. Expect one or two years of serious learning before you can start working on this game.

Quote:now, i wonder what coding Language do i need ?
C# or C++
and i wonder wich of them is better ?

Your own competence with the language is more important than the language itself. If you know neither, start with C#, which is generally easier for beginners, and thus faster to acquire competence in. For an MMORPG, you will quite possibly need more than one language anyway.

Quote:and not to learn new Language's again.

Bad idea. Any decent programmer knows at least half a dozen languages, with most professionals knowing more than ten and being able to learn more very quickly. In your case, SQL would be useful fo persisting state.
Don't start coding games with a MMO. (To give you a hint, I have CS Major and coding a MMO is close to impossible at this point) Start with simpler games like single player RPG/FPS..

Don't start coding games(especially 3-d ones) unless you have enough experience with a language & API/game engine.

If you know a language (at least one like C/C++) learning other languages are relatively simple. (Ie if you know C++ by heart, you can start coding in C# in 1-2 hours) Most of the concepts are similar.

There's simply no "better language". All of them has pros and cons. C# is simpler for beginners/debugging. But you are limited to MS.

And lastly no matter how hard you try, you can't make a MMO of commercial quality on your own. There are dozens/hundreds of people doing this job for a single game.

Edit: $ -> S

[Edited by - ozenc on August 3, 2007 1:32:34 PM]
Quote:Original post by ozenc
But you are limited to M$.

I was kind of expecting that bit of misinformation to crop up in this thread—though not so soon. C# can be used on non-M$ platforms. Hell, it can even be used on non-Microsoft platforms, and has been for at least three years. Linux and OS X support it transparently, you don't even need to recompile as you would for C++.
Quote:Original post by ToohrVyk
But you are limited to M$.

I was kind of expecting that bit of misinformation to crop up in this thread—though not so soon. C# can be used on non-M$ platforms. Hell, it can even be used on non-Microsoft platforms, and has been for at least three years. Linux and OS X support it transparently, you don't even need to recompile as you would for C++.

I was assuming he will use Directx with C# :) I'm not sure if you can use this combination with Linux/Mono or whatever? Even if you can, this isn't the obvious choice for sure as you have OpenGL to do the same job. Anyway, thanks for the correction :)
i didnt say im gona work alon !
did you ever heard about a team ?

and why you do telling me stuff that i dont need
ive just askd what LNG is better for MMOrpg ?
M$.

Obligitory journal link.
Quote:Original post by iceDeath
did you ever heard about a team ?

This reminds me of a "zen question".

If a painter paints a wall in ten days, then ten painters can paint the wall in one day. But, if a plane crosses the ocean in ten hours, why can't ten planes cross the ocean in one hour?

Some concepts in software development can only be learned through failure or experience. Failure takes time, and you seem to respond to the experienced advice of others with agressivity and scorn.

And MMORPG development will involve a lot of these concepts.

It isn't meant as an offense, but judging by your two posts in this thread, you will still need at least a year to reach the level of competence (as well as maturity in the field of engineering) necessary to provide any important programming contribution to an MMORPG project of the scale that you are considering.

Quote:and why you lelling me stuff that i dont need

I find it amusing to sprinkle my answers with anectodical references which, though not providing pratical applications to your questions, will help you better understand the situation you are in. For starters, it should help you understand why "what language?" is not a relevant question, and that you should perhaps be asking "what languages?" instead.

And, since I do answer questions in this forum for my own amusement (as opposed to being legally bound, or paid to do it), I reserve myself the right to add information about the topic at hand to any of my posts as long as the post in itself did answer the original question.
1. im not a totaly beginner i got some experience
2. can you PLEASE JUST TELL ME what lng is better for MMO ?

look i dont understand any thing you say i live in israel
and my english is not that ULTRA PRO EXTRA high.

ive said im working with a team and there are other programers alot better
then me in this team so plz STOP TELLING me how hard it will be
to make this game.
Quote:Original post by Driv3MeFar
M$.

Obligitory journal link.

This link is awesome :) Thanks for linking it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement