OpenGL.
ive been told that its a program that makes the game world where i
put my 3d objects and stuff
is that true ?

OpenGL
Advertisement
Quote:
AND YES ! ufcurse we are going to learn first im not THAT stupid

I dont think your stupid, i just think you are not realizing the complexity of the project you want to do.

Quote:
but ive got some really smart people in the team.
and as i said im not the programer.
so all the programing stuff goes to one guy in the tham,
what i can say about him is ( HIS REALLY GOOD AT MATH )
and the last time i left him for he can write some codes on c++
he wrote allmost a full page.

for a game that looks like oblivion a page is nothing. Even if your friend is really good at Math, C++, and is an excellent programmer it still wont be easy to make a game like oblivion.
Oblivion had over 20+ programmers working on it full time,
Im pretty sure those people were also really good at math, C++ and were very smart.

Quote:
my art skills are really good so thats why we wanted to try and build
a cool game.
and ive said yes we know how hard and Annoying it gonna be.

cool.
http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/elder-scrolls-iv-oblivion/credits
here is the list of people that it took to make a game look the way oblivion did.

Please do your self a favor and forget about making an MMO for a while.

and OpenGL is an API(Application programming interface) its not actually a program, its just a bunch of libraries that you can use in your code to render stuff onto the screen.

Good Luck.

well ok.

i have one more question.

im only asking tis becuse im really crazy now and im stuck and i dont know
what to do.
the answer will really help me for the futre of my game.

now, i know my art skills are very high but i just can think
how to make a perfect logo to the game.

im not saing im gonna work on it right now i will when ill start the game.
so here is my point.
i cant make alogo and i dont know why.
so ive tryd to download fonts
but in some point i thought and askd my salfe :

WAIT ! if im gonna sell the game is that legal to use some one other Font ?

so HERE I AM ! cant move on this LOGO thing makes me go crazy.
can any one help ?
It is great that you are holding off on the game for now.

I personally recommend not worrying to much about the logo for now until you get further into the development of the game itself. Odds are, its going to change often, anyways.

If the fonts are freely downloadable, it will be okay to use. Unless there is any notice of the useage of the fonts, then it should be okay. You can also email the owner to insure of usage terms, and to insure it is okay.

You can also post in the Help Wanted asking for an artist to help out.
:) i understand.

but just to make you sure that im not lieing about my art skills here
is an exapele of a very simaple FLASH Armor i drawd.

1. THESE ARE a demo version of the Armor's
2. Copyright ©

here is the first version.
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/6056/untitled1ko8.png

and the second one
http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/7089/untitled12cb1.png

i workd on it only 19 mins wich means is not my best.

[Edited by - iceDeath on August 5, 2007 10:38:07 PM]
Quote:Original post by ToohrVyk
Quote:Original post by iceDeath
did you ever heard about a team ?

This reminds me of a "zen question".

If a painter paints a wall in ten days, then ten painters can paint the wall in one day. But, if a plane crosses the ocean in ten hours, why can't ten planes cross the ocean in one hour?

Some concepts in software development can only be learned through failure or experience. Failure takes time, and you seem to respond to the experienced advice of others with agressivity and scorn.

And MMORPG development will involve a lot of these concepts.

It isn't meant as an offense, but judging by your two posts in this thread, you will still need at least a year to reach the level of competence (as well as maturity in the field of engineering) necessary to provide any important programming contribution to an MMORPG project of the scale that you are considering.

Quote:and why you lelling me stuff that i dont need

I find it amusing to sprinkle my answers with anectodical references which, though not providing pratical applications to your questions, will help you better understand the situation you are in. For starters, it should help you understand why "what language?" is not a relevant question, and that you should perhaps be asking "what languages?" instead.

And, since I do answer questions in this forum for my own amusement (as opposed to being legally bound, or paid to do it), I reserve myself the right to add information about the topic at hand to any of my posts as long as the post in itself did answer the original question.

i find anecdotal references useful - they give substance, afterall, if we just replied with "use C++" or "use C#" you'd get AN answer, but you'd not have all the information you really do need to understand the answer propperly.

seriously, for a beginner, an MMORPG is WAY beyond you, trust me, no matter how tallented you might me, i mean, MMORPGs are huge, with large teams of highly experienced programmers who have been programming this stuff for years and years and the top levels. i've recently finished a degree in games programming and design, and an MMORPG is a distant dream to me. you aren't going to sit in your bedroom with your mates and bash out world of warcraft. you'll find that first of all, you're going to want to make teris or pong, then make super mario, and so on, adding layers of complexity.

when you start programming for the first time, think of yourself as a new born baby - you've gotta learn to crawl, then walk, then run... by trying for an MMORPG right away, you're basicly saying you're going to flap your arms and fly to the moon. alot of good advice is in this thread, and ToohrVyk makes alot of sense.

to answer your question, however, i reccomend getting C# and XNA on the go, they seem to be decent learning platforms and there's a workshop going on elsewhere on this forum which should aid your learning of C#.
alternatively, learn C++ - there's more info out there for C++ and directx than you can shake a small forest at. you're also probably going to need SQL as already mentioned, since databases and you are likely to become well aquanted when you start creating persistance in your game - something you will need for an MMO if you still wish to go ahead with that - i wish you luck, genuinely, i'd love to make an MMO, but after a few years programming i still know that it's a very distant dream for me.
Hmmm ¬_¬.

[Edited by - iceDeath on August 5, 2007 10:50:42 PM]
Like Malazar said you might also wanna try C# and XNA.
and the question you asked earlier about the logo.
Dont even worry about it, as far as selling your game, its not gonna really happen. to Create a commerical product these days its not that easy. if you look at some earlier games by some top notch studios like id you will notice that some of their earlier games may be hard to sell now. and even those games are pretty complex. But if you really want to try to sell your product you should possibly look for a diff market. maybe like for cell phones, but even those are quite complex now with cellphone techonology growing.
But seriously forgot about things like logos and stuff for until you have some framework done for your game.
Quote:Original post by Ksingh30
Like Malazar said you might also wanna try C# and XNA.
and the question you asked earlier about the logo.
Dont even worry about it, as far as selling your game, its not gonna really happen. to Create a commerical product these days its not that easy. if you look at some earlier games by some top notch studios like id you will notice that some of their earlier games may be hard to sell now. and even those games are pretty complex. But if you really want to try to sell your product you should possibly look for a diff market. maybe like for cell phones, but even those are quite complex now with cellphone techonology growing.
But seriously forgot about things like logos and stuff for until you have some framework done for your game.

mobile phones is a good market, heh heh, those guys'll buy anything ;)

you could create your own "minigames" website and have demos of your games available for download, then maybe sell the full version downloads for a few £'s (or $'s if you're from that side of the pond).

the beauty of the C#/XNA route is that you already have the xbox live marketplace to test out the fruits of your labours - i'm not sure how that thing works but i believe you might be able to upload stuff for free download or maybe even be able to charge a small fee - and i'd reccomend it being small, afterall, this isn't going to be the next gears of war you're releasing first time out ;)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement