Sign in to follow this  
shanytopper

Free .Net 3D graphics/physics engines?

Hello everybody, I have a question. I am looking to build a game, and I come to need a 3D graphics and phyiscs engine(s). However, there are a few limitations: 1- It (or they) have to be fully supported and usable by .Net (as I am a C# programer) 2- It (or they) have to be free to use and to develop games with. I have no problem if it's required to pay for a licnese before I can publish the game, but the actuall working on it must be free. 3- If those are two diffrent engines, then ofcourse they must be well integrated to work together. So, does such a thing exist? Or am I looking for something that does not exist? with thanks Shany Topper

Here's a large and up-to-date list of engines, many of which are free and include reviews from many users. You probably won't find any physics-only engines over there, but some of the engines there include support for physics. You can always use google to find physics-only SDK's if you need to.

AGEIA PhysX is getting wider support. You need to register as a developer to download the software, but you can develop free of charge. In fact, I don't think they charge any royalties at all for PC developers, choosing instead to make money by pushing the PPU hardware. (The Xbox 360 license is pretty expensive, though).

There is no official .NET wrapper for it, but some folks are making them. If you don't mind using a deprecated version of the software, Jason Zelsnack released his own .NET wrappers for 2.4.4 and 2.5.1. This is what got me interested in PhysX in the first place, back when it was called Novodex. (I e-mailed Jason about a newer version but never got a reply.) Once registered as a PhysX developer, you might ask (on the official forum) one of the other developers to share his/her work, as a few of us have done. Chad Mellor made a wrapper for 2.7.0, which he shares discreetly (inasmuch as you have to ask him directly; he's been pretty generous about it).

As for graphics engines, I understand XNA is pretty easy to use. It's not an engine, but it'll get you up and running pretty darned quick. I have the SDK installed but have yet to really work with it beyond sifting through the object browser.