4th language ?

Started by
11 comments, last by Rebooted 16 years, 8 months ago
Thanks a lot for all the advices [smile]
Quote: by eedok
I would say SQL would most likely give you the most complimentary skills as you can use it with all of the languages you already know.
I was definitely planning on learning SQL, besides the fact that its sought for in the professional industry it also seems pretty useful for game file formats.

Quote:by Harry Hunt Heck, you could even learn &#106avascript/ActionScript which is multi-paradigm but supports functional concepts like higher-order functions, lambdas, closures, currying and since &#106avascript 1.7 also stuff like continuations). Also, you might want to look into logic programming languages like Prolog. And you might want to check out Smalltalk which is the mother of all object oriented programming languages and also supports a lot of functional concepts. <!--QUOTE--></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE><!--/QUOTE--><!--ENDQUOTE--><br><br>I'm actually a little familiar with &#106avascript since my Java course covered &#106avascript/HTML for the it's last two months, i was never aware that JS contained functional elements. I'll look into Smalltalk, just to see how it's related to new OOP languages. Thanks<br><br>Looks like I'm going with Haskell and SQL. Thanks for helping :]

You didn't come into this world. You came out of it, like a wave from the ocean. You are not a stranger here. -Alan Watts

Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Rebooted
Quote:Original post by Antheus
Actually, Erlang is another interesting alternative. It has proven to be unsurpassed with regard to concurrent performance. Another interesting aspect is that it has no shared state and no stack - which makes for quite interesting programming.
What do you mean by that?

There is no global state, there are no function calls, all operations are done through messages, and everything is a process (tens, even hundreds of thousand per processor are no problem), despite that, there are no synchronization primitives, and no multi-threaded programming issues.

Quote:Original post by Rebooted
Actually, Erlang is another interesting alternative. It has proven to be unsurpassed with regard to concurrent performance. Another interesting aspect is that it has no shared state and no stack - which makes for quite interesting programming.
What do you mean by that?

There is no global state, there are no function calls, all operations are done through messages, and everything is a process (tens, even hundreds of thousand per processor are no problem), despite that, there are no synchronization primitives, and no multi-threaded programming issues.

That's not quite true; Erlang has functions (it is a functional language after all). Data structures and functions in Erlang are not proccesses.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement