sprintf, itoa, etc...

Started by
11 comments, last by Verg 16 years, 8 months ago
Quote:Original post by AaronA
Because I operate under the theory that as long as it works like I told it to, its perfectly fine. I can think of a million and one people against that and understand why, however at this particular point and on this particular project, I feel that it shouldn't concern me. :)

This is a common fallacy that leads to long term problems.

Your case is trivial - but is it?
const char * LDevice::getMonth(){    char * LTimeMonthTMP = ... // either new or malloc// OR    char LTimeMonthTMP[12]; // I believe 12 should cover 32-bit int    sprintf(LTimeMonthTMP, "%i", LTimeMonth);     CFG_SelectGroup(LTimeMonthTMP, CFG_False);   return CFG_ReadText("Name", LTimeMonthTMP);}

If you allocate LTimeMonthTMP, you need to de-allocate it, and the allocation can fail. If it fails, how will it fail? With exception? With return code? What happens if CFG_SelectGroup or CFG_ReadText fail? Where will you de-allocate it?

On the other hand, allocating room on stack leads to obvious overflow scenario, since %i can display more than 32 bit integer value. One solution is to allocate more than 12 bytes, but that doesn't solve the problem, it merely leaves you open for other attacks on null-terminated strings - after all, you've given the attacker a typical stack overrun facility.

Consider something else as well. Let's say that 12 is indeed enough. The number 12 is unrelated to following sprintf function - what if, later, another programmer changes the string there to " %i". Everything will work. But putting in unusual values (month cannot be 2^32 - or can it?). Congratulations, you've just created the most typical buffer overrun scenario, and it wasn't even your fault.

The major problem of using null-terminated strings comes from their "null-terminatedness", and being a pointer in nature. First one is a problem since you have no way of testing an overrun condition, second one is a problem since you need to allocate/de-allocate them.

Compared to std::string, they aren't pointers, and they have well-known and protected length.

There's room for char *. But even then, writing your own read-only class referencing constant char * storage is much better.

For your case, explicit lookup table of pre-calculated string values would be much more suitable anyway. There's only 12 months, and anything beyond that is an error - so you even solve additional problem.
Advertisement
Wow, I'm late to the party.

But for the sake of making contributions: as well as ignoring the *real* string type that C++ provides to you, you're also ignoring its *real* boolean type, not to mention namespaces. You might want to think more about how you name things, too.

std::string Device::getMonth(){  std::string monthAsString = (std::istringstream() << month).str();  CFG::SelectGroup(monthAsString, false);  return CFG::ReadText("Name", monthAsString);}// where the CFG functions are accordingly placed into a CFG namespace instead// and accept a const std::string& instead of a const char*.

Quote:Because I operate under the theory that as long as it works like I told it to, its perfectly fine.

An uninsulated wire does a perfectly good job of conducting electricity, so why would I ever bother insulating it, or taping the wires down, or considering the resistance of the load, or making a plug connection for the load instead of just soldering it in place, or...
Quote:Original post by AaronA
I can respect that, but wouldn't you feel that I reserve the right to use char * if I'd like? Even if its wrong, it'll give me a hands on learning lesson as they say :).

As they say, you can put all the bullets in the gun, but if you shoot yourself in the eye... it's someone else's fault [smile]

Personally I don't trust myself that much... and would sleep better by just using the right tools for the job (std::string and its counterparts).

C

my_life:          nop          jmp my_life
[ Keep track of your TDD cycle using "The Death Star" ] [ Verge Video Editor Support Forums ] [ Principles of Verg-o-nomics ] [ "t00t-orials" ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement